War veteran pushed into canal by gang of youths

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by ukdaytona, Sep 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An 83-year-old war veteran might never walk again after being pushed into a canal by a gang of youths, police said today.

The pensioner was fishing with his nephew in St Helens, Merseyside, when they were both pushed into the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

Detectives today released CCTV pictures of three youths thought to be responsible for the incident, which is being treated as a wounding offence.

The victim, named by police only as Brian, remains in hospital with two broken legs. Police say he might never regain his ability to walk. His 41-year-old nephew was uninjured in the incident, which happened at 4pm on July 13.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=480061&in_page_id=1770

Hope Brian gets home soon and doesnt loose too much of his mobility in yet another mindless attack. It is time to reclaim the streets from these scumbags. We all know that if they are caught nothing will happen.

2. I must admit the headline pisses me off almost as much as the act, would it have been less news worthy or more acceptable if the person had not been a 'war veteran'.

3. Lets hope SSAFA or other such bodies catch onto this to offer support.
    As to the scroats who did it I hope they get caught and severly punished.(I live in hope but not totally convinced)

4. Can we believe the Daily Wail? I remember the time when a journo offered £5* outside our school gates for someone to break a window for a good pic, so he could then denegrate the abolition of selection (we had just become a comprehensive from a Sec. Mod. the year before). Shoot the messanger I say!

*That was a hell of a lot of money to an 11 year old in 1974.

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

AAC was this man a Mail reporter? If not why not say "Can we believe the Times"?

6. The same goes when they say such things as "Pensioner mugged for 64p". I don't think so, if they had known she only had 64p they wouldn't have bothered.

Having said that, I am very very sorry for this man and his family. When oh when with this ponce of a justice system take these things seriously and punish accordingly.