Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War veteran pushed into canal by gang of youths

ukdaytona

War Hero
An 83-year-old war veteran might never walk again after being pushed into a canal by a gang of youths, police said today.

The pensioner was fishing with his nephew in St Helens, Merseyside, when they were both pushed into the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

Detectives today released CCTV pictures of three youths thought to be responsible for the incident, which is being treated as a wounding offence.

The victim, named by police only as Brian, remains in hospital with two broken legs. Police say he might never regain his ability to walk. His 41-year-old nephew was uninjured in the incident, which happened at 4pm on July 13.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=480061&in_page_id=1770

Hope Brian gets home soon and doesnt loose too much of his mobility in yet another mindless attack. It is time to reclaim the streets from these scumbags. We all know that if they are caught nothing will happen.

I must admit the headline pisses me off almost as much as the act, would it have been less news worthy or more acceptable if the person had not been a 'war veteran'.

Lets hope SSAFA or other such bodies catch onto this to offer support.
As to the scroats who did it I hope they get caught and severly punished.(I live in hope but not totally convinced)

Can we believe the Daily Wail? I remember the time when a journo offered £5* outside our school gates for someone to break a window for a good pic, so he could then denegrate the abolition of selection (we had just become a comprehensive from a Sec. Mod. the year before). Shoot the messanger I say!

*That was a hell of a lot of money to an 11 year old in 1974.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
AAC was this man a Mail reporter? If not why not say "Can we believe the Times"?

NotmeChief

Banned
Maxi_77 said:
I must admit the headline pisses me off almost as much as the act, would it have been less news worthy or more acceptable if the person had not been a 'war veteran'.

The same goes when they say such things as "Pensioner mugged for 64p". I don't think so, if they had known she only had 64p they wouldn't have bothered.

Having said that, I am very very sorry for this man and his family. When oh when with this ponce of a justice system take these things seriously and punish accordingly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pandaplodder Letchworth war veteran dies in Falklands after returning for Rememberance Day The Corps 0
soleil Express: "DISGRACE: War Hero Banned From Veteran's Parade For Being 'Too Old'" Charity 36
soleil Blind World War Two Veteran Fronts Blind Veterans UK (St Dunstan's) Campaign Charity 4
N Global Response To Funeral Of Tamworth War Veteran The Corps 7
soleil Northern Echo: "Second World War Veteran To Retrace Steps" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil RN Veteran of Second World War attacked in Chichester Current Affairs 4
sgtpepperband Gulf War Veteran Meets The Queen Current Affairs 12
md08 World War I veteran dies aged 108 Diamond Lil's 13
MoD_RSS Defence secures largest investment since the Cold War MoD News 0
janner Thursday War - Portland. The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS War on plastic waste stepped up with extension of plastic bag charge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World leaders pay tribute as nation falls silent to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the Second World War MoD News 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 27
MoD_RSS Guy Weston appointed as Business Trustee of the Imperial War Museum MoD News 0
soleil CornwallLive: "German First World War Shipwreck Appears At Cornwall Beach After Storms" History 3
Stirlin Cold War Kids Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
soleil i: "'A Fitting Tribute': Second World War Hero's Uniform Pride Of Place On HMS Prince of Wales" History 2
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Burial of 13 World War One soldiers brings closure to crowdfunded archaeological project MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The British War Memorial in Bangkok unveiled at the new location MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Saving future generations from the scourge of war MoD News 0
W Bathythermographs - World War 2 History 2
MoD_RSS News story: Family of World War 1 soldiers attend their relatives' funeral a century after they gave their lives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graves of Two Kent Soldiers Identified a Century After Their Deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The grave of Private Frederick Foskett, Lancashire Fusilier, killed during the Great War rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Can you help trace the family of a missing World War 2 soldier? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sherwood Forester and an unknown soldier buried 100 years after their deaths in the great war MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cornish soldier killed during World War 1 is finally laid to rest MoD News 0
vauxhall Theresa May: We have to sort war widows pension scandal Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: GRAVES OF TWO IRISH SOLDIERS KILLED DURING THE GREAT WAR ARE REDEDICATED A CENTURY LATER MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: FOUR UNKNOWN IRISH SOLDIERS BURIED ONE HUNDRED YEARS AFTER THEIR DEATHS IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Three Trustees reappointed to the Imperial War Museum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Arts Minister steps in to save £5 million Sargent First World War landscape from export MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: War disablement pension rates 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Margaret Macmillian appointed to the Imperial War Museum Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Dstl tests NATO’s War of Words MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp - The King's War Competitions 14
MoD_RSS News story: We can't let war children be forgotten generation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh Secretary to commemorate 100 years since the end of the First World War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Unknown warrior from World War 1 given final resting place MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister praises First World War heroes at reburial service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Britain champions free speech, so we’re leading the war on fake news: article by Jeremy Hunt MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Win a limited edition signed print from Jacqueline Hurley’s War Poppy Collection Competitions 0