War-torn Iraq 'facing collapse'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by slim, May 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes Slim you have!

2. :) :) :)

3. Lol :wink:

4. I'm glad your speech to Chatham House went down well! :wink: :D

BZ Slim. It just goes to show, that despite our differencies on some things, I think Nutty should appoint you his Foreign Secretary when he takes over from that Brown fellow as PM.

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What?! Darcus Howe is the Prime Minister?! 8O :wink:

6. I only half agree with what you say, Slim. I feel that Great Britain and the United States have been policing Iraq for far too long, and our military committments in both Iraq and Afghanistan are draining our economy and national morale for some time now. However, Iraq is not capable of governing itself and if the UK and USA leave now a series of civil wars will erupt.

For the sake of humanity, and to eliminate the threat of potential terrorists being recruited from this area we cannot allow this to happen. So my solution is that the British and American forces are withdrawn and relieved by UN peacekeeping forces. The United Nations couldn't see that it was neccessary to invade Iraq and remove Saddam Hussein from power, but must they blind themselves to the strife that will come should the UK and USA leave Iraq to civil war?

Whether the war in Iraq was legal or not, there is an immediate requirement for restructure and rebuilding in the country, in order to protect global political stability. I also see it as unfair that Britain and America are continuously expected to be the ones to use military action to prevent global instability. When will the UN come to its senses and help?

7. I agree with your sentiments Peter.
    The USA and GB are seen by most Arab states as interfering infidels interfering in the way Muslims run their country.
    Before Saddam's demise from what I read many Muslim countries wished for him to be removed, however they lacked the capability to do this. Now this has been achieved would it not be prudent to invite Muslim countries to assist the Iraqi government to improve the situation. Perhaps then the infidel forces could be removed and replaced by forces loyal to Islam.