War Pension/Naval Pension Questions

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by Simplesimon, Jan 24, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I was medical discharged from the RN in 2001 after 5 1/2 years of service. I was given a War Pension at 30%, and also receive a naval pension.

I emigrated to the US in 2010, and now get my pensions automatically debited to my US bank account.

I'm 36 years old now.

The questions i never asked when leaving are, and are now puzzling me ...

Are these pensions for life? Do they increase/decrease at 55 or old age, Do you receive a lump sum at retirement age ?
  2. I in the same situation. Kicked out in 2000 after 20.
    Mine goes up by the cost of living every year and is tax free.
    There is no increase at 55 your already getting it.
    They should be for life unless 'Your cured mate'
    Every few years I get a letter asking me if my situation is the same, better or worse. It's the same so nothing changes.
    Where abouts are you? Also with a war pension the US VA will supply you related prescriptions if any.
  3. Yes, I have already had a couple of letters over the years asking if my situation has changed, and responded. Always goes up a few pounds every year. My situation stays the same, so no improvement, no worse.

I kind of new it was for life, just wanted to double check, just was not sure what happened at normal retirement age.

I'm in Chicago, have been for past 4 years.

Cheers for the information.
  4. Your welcome. Do you use facebook? Good group of ex matelots / booties located in the US. Got a pissup in Florida later in the year if your up for a bit of warmer weather.