War Films - as "comedies"

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by BillyNoMates, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Watched "Tropic Thunder", and chortled at various scenes.
    (Soldier laying there - hands all mashed and such), of course
    it's a "film about the making of a film", but then I sort of
    realised that it just 'aint funny anymore and felt a tad
    embarrassed about finding it amusing. Does the panel
    think that there's room for films appertaining to war to
    be labelled as "comedies" anymore? Watching jolly old
    Rambo pulling peoples 'eads off was thrilling enough -
    but to make war funny has my head in a quandary.
    Too much happening in the real world I suppose.

http://www.newser.com/story/34781/tropic-thunder-declares-comedy-war.html

2. Most movies with septics in them are mildly amusing......or anything with wots iz name ,the little Oz runt.........Mel Bibson

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Humour in extreme circumstance (such as war) has been identified as a coping strategy which contributes to people's adjustment to difficult, arduous and exhausting situations. Research has suggested that humour 'enhances communication, facilitates cognitive re-framing and social support, and has possible physical benefits', although an important distinction is made between the 'healthy' uses of humour, and humour that is used to 'mask' potentially harmful psychoses.

As long as service personnel use humour to dilute or detract from a sometimes extremely stressful and traumatic situation, then there will always be room for 'humourous' films about war.

4. Can you run that past me again SPB ?

5. Service personnel use humour to relieve tension in times of stress. It helps distract people from the reality of the situation they are in and allows then to cope with extreme pressure. War films should have those moments of "humour"to reflect the realities of the situation they portray...having said that "Tropic Thunder" is just pants ! :lol:

6. Aberfan 1966 HMS TIGER

Much tots and black humour, no PTSD, and millions in compensation for stess

I feel sorry for all our Fathers (your Grandfathers) missed out on all that PTSD and compo for sitting on a beach for six weeks getting shot at and bombed, make it to a ship and get sunk, swallowed oil and three weeks later make it to a military strecher on a street in Jarrow
    (Not chief chief I just seen my oppo get his finger wripped off in a teleprinter, How do I claim)

Raised a good family and died aged 69 without a gripe TRUE MEN who used black humour to get through and survived

Even BIGGER MEN there was not a pot to dig into so got on with life and bore it
    A bit like ABERFAN

(Edit ptsd)

Jack Mch

7. MASH is probably the best recognised 'comedy' about war. It was hilarious but had its fair share of darker, even tragic moments and is now regarded as a classic. There are lots of others that have humorous elements amongst the tragedy that are not making fun of war but are showing how people cope with the situation. As they say - You shouldn't have joined if you can't take a joke!

8. 'Carry on Sergeant", 'Privates on parade' and the 'Virgin soldiers' spring to mind........as not very funny war comedies.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

"A bridge to far" is a good laugh watching the paras get a kicking. 8)

10. Ahhh yes, the good old days....rickets, polio, child abuse (nothing new there, just that people got away with it more in those days), ritual bullying, National Service, you could leave your front door unlocked at night etc. and you could have 4 weeks in Bognor Regis in a caravan, go to the pictures, have 10 pints of p*ss awful beer and still have enough for fish and chips on the way home, ALL FOR A TANNER!! (Whatever the fcuk that was) blah, blah fcuking blah...........