War at Sea 1914-1918

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by seafarer1939, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just downloaded this for the Kindle and I'm looking forward to it.
    It's from the Imp.War Museum I know a bit re.the sea war but this seems to be a about letters to home,as well as actions, from ordinary Jacks and not the Officers up the scale.
    If interested I'll let you know how good it is later.
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Then try 'A Naval History of World War 1' by Paul G Halpern. VERY comprehensive and includes activities that often don't get mentioned.
  3. Thanks I'll do that,I already have a few including the Jutland battle where a young middy wrote home saying to his mum "It will be terrific fun and we'll jolly well show them!" he was killed.
    It seems far to many Admirals were raised in the era of sail and were vehement to change.
    One Senior admiral stated we are the worst prepared of any nation with the quality of our Senior Naval Staff.
    Exceptions there were,Beatty,Jellicoe etc but on the whole top brass were dismal in their efficiency but intent on inflicting very harsh discipline thinking it caused efficiency,it did not.
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My recommendation was intended to give the background to the salty tales in your book (which I also have) so as to explain why Jack was wherever he was in the first place. I had a great uncle at Jutland, the first his family heard about it from him was a telegram "Clothes burnt send money".
  5. 'Rules of the game' is a informative read. I think it's one of the best about Jutland and explaining why the signalling faux pas happened. While gossipy is too strong a word, he does inform the reader with anything notable concerning the subject.
  6. One phrase from the book seems to sum up what was wrong with the service during that time.
    After the Napoleonic glory days where lower deck promotions were a necessity in the next 84 years only four promotions from the lower deck were made and that was at the end of a career so as not to get them passed the lieutenants grade!
    Perhaps if we had made use of more Seaman/Gunners with promotions we may have fared better at Jutland.
    One rating wrote that on Xmas day the Admiral wished all a Happy Xmas and the Officers spent the day and night drinking and dancing[with who? Guess!] whilst the men had a piece of corn beef and hardtack for their Xmas dinner!
    It was what it was then but I'm surprised we didn't have another mutiny.