Wanting to serve on a particular ship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by matt277, Mar 6, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I am looking at joining as a marine engineering technician, and would really like to serve on HMS protector. Do you get much choice of which ship you are assigned to?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You can certainly express a preference but ships with a small number of ratings tend to ideally seek those with some prior service related seagoing experience, in the ideal world. ie: second or subsequent draft rather than first out of training.

You are correspondingly more likely to get a base area or class of ship, than getting assigned to a single nominated ship, but it can and does happen.

As ever, the needs of the service can override the desires of the individual but for those with realistic aspirations, it is reckoned about eighty percent upwards receive their first preference draft.

3. Just ask Drafty - I can't see a problem...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. So I may get my wish :). I read something about them going on a 2 year deployment? Guessing they fly home in between possibly?

5. Is the age limit 30 or 34 now for marine engineer?

6. Ninja_Stoker

I've not heard of two year deployments, to be honest. Linky?

Thirty-Four is currently the upper age limit. Logically it should be increased to bring it in line with other branches, particularly at a time when we struggle to recruit engineering technicians whilst the average person serves only six years. Trouble is, logic is not always applied in haste.

7. I saw it on a programme davenport inside the royal navy. Is the waiting list around 6 months?

8. Would be hoping to serve over 6 years, as I would be leaving behind quite at good job to join the navy. Work as a plumbing and heating engineer at the moment.

9. They mentioned the Protector is on a 2 year deployment but didn't mention the crew rotation they have on the ship on TV's "Devonport"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. So one person wouldn't be there for the whole 2 years?

11. Isn't Protector seasonal? Time in Antarctic and time at home? :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Their draft might be to the ship for 2 or more years but they wouldn't be deployed for 2 years at a time no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. They do a 2:1 watch rotation, which I think is a little longer than the standard HM rotation, but something approximating 12 weeks on, 6 weeks off.

The likelihood of you getting a draft to PROTECTOR as a first job is slim to none; no reason why not to put it down, but most of Guzz have got there before you!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks, Is this because it is a popular drafting? Do you mean 12 weeks at see then, the 6 weeks of would be working at base. Or totally off?

15. Typically "totally off", but there may be a requirement for doing courses etc in your "off time".

A ship going around the world, going places that the RN hasn't been to for nearly a century, and a fixed programme - yes, it's a popular draft...

16. Hope at some time I get to serve on it then. Are most ships a 2:1 watch rotation 12 weeks on 6 weeks off then?

17. Seems a lot of time off

18. Ninja_Stoker

No.
    If the wage is a critical issue, then the private sector is always going to offer a better wage than the public sector.

That said, the Nuclear Undergraduate Scheme may appeal in terms of income and qualifications, if you are suitably qualified and under age 30: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community...ear-undergrad-apprentice-scheme-nugas.116164/

Likewise there is an Advanced Apprentice scheme which affords accelerated advancement (promotion) which maybe worth looking at.

About four months at present.

19. Down south is fun for about the first 2 weeks. IME*, the fleet is divided roughly equally between people that have no interest in doing it, people desperate to do it, and people who have done it and wouldn't go back for a king's ransom.

Operating non-standard kit in a non-standard and extreme environment thousands of miles from any support is pretty cool on paper, and makes for interesting dits to spin down the pub for years afterwards, but is (again IME/IMO) rather less fun at the time.

*1 deployment in HMS Endurance.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wage isnt too critical. Would having a full nvq in plumbing and heating offer any options for advanced promotion as a marine engineering technician?