Wanting to join as an officer

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nephilim, Aug 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good day to you all

I have decided (well quite a while ago) that I want to join the Navy as an officer. I have met the requirements in terms of 180 UCAS points (I have in fact completed the first year of my degree however stopped going due to student finance refusing to give me a loan and me being unable to continue paying - this was when I was 19, and I am now 25).

When I made the decision I was overweight (I weighed 150kgs, and in the space of 3 months I have dropped to 135kgs and I am still going on strong). Would there be an issue at the AFCO if I applied on my 26th birthday in February (by which point I hope to be down to 100-110kgs) and keep losing the weight during the process?

I have wanted a career in the military but having an office job where I was not doing much by way of walking or any form of exercise (and being lazy - I must admit) and bad food choices made me fat but now I am serious and I am shifting the weight at a rate of roughly 1kg-1.5kg a week.

Could I apply now and ask for a delayed entry or should I apply when I have lost more weight?

All comments (positive and negative) are appreciated.

Many thanks

Nephilim

2. Hello Nephilim.

Welcome to Rum Ration.

The bottom line is that you need to get cracking.

Do you mind if I ask how tall you are (calculating your BMI).

• Like Like x 1
  3. I am 6ft. I know I have a way to go (need to get down to 85kgs or thereabouts) to be in the healthy range for BMI.

As for the comment get cracking, I am assume you mean losing the weight?

4. Not necessarily; if you are 25, you need to be in contact with a Royal Navy Careers Advisor sharpish. The clock is ticking.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ahh ok, Well I am seeing them later today, but wanted to know if I would be shown the door because of my size, despite my effort to lose the weight. It was not a decision I made lightly as I spoke with the Mrs and she would support me with this. Thank you for your help. Along side Cardio workouts (I ride my bike for an hour a day (slowly increasing the length each week by a further 5 mins as I was shattered after 15 mins to begin with so had to build it up!) and I walk with my daughter for roughly 1 - 2 miles every other day) is there any other exercises I can do at home (I am unable to afford the gym at the minute).

Many thanks for all of your help!

6. OK, I've done the maths. It's true that you need to be around 85kgs to be passable at your Medical.

Are you interested in something particular Officer-wise?

7. Our messages crossed - have just seen your last.

8. By the way, I have just calculated how much you have lost in the last 3 months; I'm impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. One of these two career paths.

Weapon Engineer Officer or Information Systems Engineer Officer (would be too old for the Warfare officer).

Preferably the Information Systems Engineer Officer though.

10. I have a feeling that the Information Systems Engineer Officer role has been incorporated into WEO now.

You may have difficulties with WEO entry, I fear, without an Engineering degree or something similar.

11. I'm not really the best Rum Rationer to advise on exercise ... but I would suggest that you keep going with your current exercise plan. It is clearly working. It may be best if you carry on with that and then introduce other elements as your weight drops.

I like swimming myself - you can find a quiet time at most pools to just do a few lengths.

Something occurs to me which might help you.

Some GP surgeries around the country are offering free schemes for gyms/pools and WeightWatchers too, if that appeals to you. I appreciate what you have said about the gym. If you live in a Trust area which has adopted either or both of these schemes, you should be able to get help from your GP to access them for free.

• Like Like x 1
  12. You need to workout twice a day. Ride the bike in the morning for an hour before work, and swim in the evening (until you are light enough to run without damaging your body). If you can't afford a gym, there are some NHS trusts which allow their GP's to prescribe exercise, in the form of free gym membership to Municipal gyms. Speak to your doctor.

If you can't afford a gym then sell the computer you're on, because you'll not lose weight stuck in front of it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ahh, I see. On the website it states they are separate roles. I appreciate all of your help so far. I am visiting the AFCO at 12:30-13:00 and will be asking lots of questions :)

14. I am using a work laptop at the minute. As for the GP recommendations for Gym membership, I did not know that, I shall try to make an appointment for this afternoon, no guarantees as they are usually heavily booked but it will definitely be something for me to try!

As for swimming, I enjoy swimming so shall look at how much a month a swimming membership costs (its £4 a time for a single session so would hope its cheaper for a monthly concession or something). I appreciate all of the help and advise you are giving me!

15. The website needs updating, I'm afraid. A new one is about to be launched, so the editing of the old one is in abeyance. I am pretty sure that the IS role is now part of WEO.

To be honest, I think that Logistics Officer is more likely to be the one for which you can apply.

By the way, different elements of the application process have different periods of validity. The psychometric test which is the first stage is valid for 3 years, so you may be able to start things off and then pick things up at a later date.

It is going to be a while before you can be passed as fit by the ME, but once you are, you then progress to the Pre-Joining Fitness Test, your Sift Interview with the Area Careers Liaison Officer and then your AIB and then, hopefully, BRNC.

16. If your local healthcare Trust is doing the right scheme, you might get a membership free from them via your GP which gets you in to a pool which has a gym as well.

17. £20 a month for membership at the local swimming centre which includes their gym facilities (thankfully my current employer is a part of their corporate membership scheme) so that's doable.

Would swimming + resistance training be a good idea 3/4 times a week doubled up with my cycling every day?

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Crikey! Get a room, you two... :shock:

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I wish you were my officer, you're easily pleased. My occifers didn't like alot.

20. I shall let a fitness bod advise on that one!