wanting a career change (becoming a AET)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dogspencil, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hiya all im currently fed up with my job and every day life and want a total change,,,after talking to my uncle who was in the royal navy it really sounded like a challenging and rewarding career what ever path you take..

after looking up the careers offerd in the navy i really fancy becoming a AET..im 23 and will probs be 24 by the time everything is sorted, i know my age is well inside the age required but do people my age actually join for this career or is it usually a lot younger..

being 23 and having no experience or knowledge in this field of work is it an unrealistic choice of career...thnx all..
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site. Max age is 37 & whilst last in Raleigh there were 3 people in the same class in phase one training, all over 30.

The main issue is whether you can afford to live on 13K.

Good luck,
  3. Have you called in at your local AFCO for a chat with a Careers Advisor?
  4. Hi,

Just as Ninja says, people of all ages join. In the last week I have interviewed an 18 years old for AET and a 29 year old, both of whom should make excellent candidates.

If you really fancy a long term career then the RN will offer you that, and we will train you to do the job, so you don't need to have previous experience, just the drive, determination and ability to learn the trade.

Call into your nearest careers office for further info if you are still interested.