Wanted - one ship door (photo)

Warning, despite the perhaps intriguing title this is a really dull post.

I am quite pleased with the new front page ( http://www.rumration.co.uk/index.htm ) as a means of instantly getting people to choose RN / RM and I think it's got a little bit of humour and is more or less attractive. However.... the door is crap. I have to face it.

Does anyone have a photo of a ship's door, from the outside, facing roughly straight on?

Thanks.

Told you it was dull.

Good_CO said:

I am quite pleased with the new front page ( http://www.rumration.co.uk/index.htm ) as a means of instantly getting people to choose RN / RM and I think it's got a little bit of humour and is more or less attractive. However.... the door is crap. I have to face it.

Does anyone have a photo of a ship's door, from the outside, facing roughly straight on?

Thanks.

Told you it was dull.
Even as a WAFU, I know that ships haven't got doors! Hatches man!!!

I knew that was coming - I went off straight after that post thinking "hatches? gangways? portholes? starboard holes? locker lids? " - all winnders an' doors to me

JunglyDaz said:
You've never heard the pipe, "Close all upper deck screen doors, scuttles and hatches," then? Not to mention Shakin' Stevens singing "Screen door, what's that secret you're keeping?" in 1981.

[Edited to add that I ought to be faster on the door, sorry, draw.]

dhobyitch

Lantern Swinger
letthecatoutofthebag said:
JunglyDaz said:
Good_CO said:

Thanks.

Told you it was dull.
Ermm... dont' bulkheads have doors and decks have hatch?

E.g.:

"Close all upperdeck screens, doors and hatches"
Should read 'all screen doors and hatches'.

Sorry no 'Door' picture but have one of the wife leaving the sea in Mombassa ( same font size).

Opposite end to the blunt bit, between the left bit and the right bit, above the cellar but below the roof? That point bit?

Good_CO said:
Opposite end to the blunt bit, between the left bit and the right bit, above the cellar but below the roof? That point bit?
yep, you got it, just down the stairs and along the corridor.

Naval_Gazer said:
JunglyDaz said:
You've never heard the pipe, "Close all upper deck screen doors, scuttles and hatches," then? Not to mention Shakin' Stevens singing "Screen door, what's that secret you're keeping?" in 1981 .

I was assuming the the Good CO wanted the door thingys with the clips or winding thingamybobs you find when you go down the stairs, not up on the beach and above. :lol:

Com one guys, he's a wafoo - probably hasn't been to sea yet.... ??
:lol: :lol:

(And this ain't far from being true, I served in one ship where there was a Airman who was continually whining about having beeen posted to a ship as a CPO - he'd been in 13 years and it was his first sea draft ! )

JunglyDaz said:
Naval_Gazer said:
JunglyDaz said:
You've never heard the pipe, "Close all upper deck screen doors, scuttles and hatches," then? Not to mention Shakin' Stevens singing "Screen door, what's that secret you're keeping?" in 1981 .

I was assuming the the Good CO wanted the door thingys with the clips or winding thingamybobs you find when you go down the stairs, not up on the beach and above. :lol:
Thats why I joined the FAA! :lol: :razz:

Sadly, I have spent SOME time at sea. Not as much as the buffer on Ocean, who had spent 30+ years at sea. Imagine the LSA??

Good_CO said:

Thanks.

Told you it was dull.
I couldn't find a door but I've PM'd you regarding a photo of a 'ship's hatch' I've uploaded to the military/general album in the ARRSE galleries. It is appropriately dull.

mazza_magoo

Lantern Swinger
wet_blobby said:
Good_CO said:
yep, you got it, just down the stairs and along the corridor.
Is that next to the kitchen, or the bedroom? :shock:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gieves kit wanted The Quarterdeck 4
Ninja_Stoker Former RN Helicopter Controllers & Marine Engineers wanted RFA 0
P Advice wanted: Offered Observer but always had Pilot as my first choice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Bad CO Modeller Seeks Help: Royal Navy Photos Wanted History 1
Naval_Families_Federation Your Views Wanted: CarillionAmey - Poll Closing Soon! Current Affairs 9
D Volunteers wanted for the Sea Cadets - contact [email protected] Charity 41
Darb Wanted: Wilkinson RN Officer's Sword The Fleet 7
scouse Help wanted JD dusty Miller The Fleet Air Arm 1
Guns Info Ops, posters on ARRSE - help wanted. The Quarterdeck 4
scouse Doc wanted Diamond Lil's 0
BillyNoMates Work wanted. The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Waspie Christchurch SCC Boss Wanted! SCC and URNU 5
Naval_Families_Federation Your Feedback Wanted: Homeport Poll Current Affairs 0
scouse Help wanted stores numbers Diamond Lil's 26
Naval_Families_Federation Your Feedback Wanted Current Affairs 0
SONAR-BENDER Moose Milk - recipe wanted! Submariners 9
Walleroonie Dhoby Chits - help wanted. The Quarterdeck 0
scouse Help wanted The Fleet Air Arm 2
L My father serves on WW 2 Aircraft carriers. Service Record wanted. History 2
A Wanted: Industrial Business Development Manager The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Naval_Families_Federation New Self Preference System for SFA Applications: Your Feedback Wanted Current Affairs 0
Naval_Families_Federation NPFS & RMW Poll – YOUR FEEDBACK WANTED Current Affairs 7
Naval_Families_Federation Contacting the HASC: Your Feedback Wanted Current Affairs 0
A Wanted - White Collar Nuclear Engineers Submariners 0
S Book wanted The Book Club 5
soleil Pompey News: "Submariners Wanted By Gosport Museum To Share Their War Stories" Submariners 0
P Commissioning Photos wanted... History 0
stan_the_man Address wanted Diamond Lil's 5
scouse 849c FlightGannet 1966 help wanted The Fleet Air Arm 8
trelawney126 Wanted Folding Camper Awning Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
P Now I Don't Think You Wanted to do That ........ Current Affairs 12
RNFLUNKY WANTED: Sparkers badge The Quarterdeck 20
soleil Navy News: "WANTED – An Enthusiastic Leader For A Thriving London Sea Cadet Unit" SCC and URNU 1
scouse Help wanted to retrieve this video The Fleet Air Arm 3
Ageing_Gracefully Book Review - The Pacific - reviewer wanted The Book Club 4
scouse Wanted Harrier Pilots The Fleet Air Arm 6
scouse Help wanted for the Daughter of a Merchant Seaman Current Affairs 6
Seaweed Seafire postcard wanted The Fleet Air Arm 22
Rodgersthecabinboy Gay Wedding,help wanted!! Diamond Lil's 32
Polycell Wanted Submariners 0
L Information about HMS COLUMBINE (1901-1907) wanted History 8
J Naval recruitment brochures/pamphlets Wanted Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
Rumrat Whoops not what I wanted to see The Fleet Air Arm 15
Scouse_Scribes Wanted - Two or Three Morse Keys SCC and URNU 5
G Mechanical Commissioning Engineer Wanted The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
S AET - Pre-training advice wanted. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
trelawney126 Lie Detector Urgently Wanted Current Affairs 4
C wanted to say cheers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
O AVON REPRESENTATIVES WANTED NOW ALL AREAS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 16
O AVON REPRESENTATIVES WANTED NOW ALL AREAS The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0