Wanted - Budding Author / Wiki Keeper

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by Good_CO, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently reinstalled the RRPedia, the Rum Ration wiki. I apologise unreservedly to those whose input was lost with the death of the old one. It was just getting going when we screwed up and killed it.

What I'm looking for now are volunteers to write articles for the RRPedia, and also to run it. For an example of how good these can be, see the ARRSEPedia http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/ARRSEPedia_Intro - Click on "Random Article" a few times and see what you come up with. It is an excellent addition to the site and I would like Rum Ration to have the same.

Writing articles for the wiki is very easy:

Join (separate from main site, but please use the same username. There's no email confirmation or anything so it only takes a second)

Edit an existing page and place a link in, so: "The [[RRPedia]] is a collection of vaguely encyclopedia-like articles". Save the page (please note your changes in the box), click on the red RRPedia link you have just created, and the new RRPedia page will open for you to create.

Articles can be organised into categories, images uploaded etc, but we'll worry abuot that later.

A good start would be to go to the Royal Navy page: http://www.rumration.co.uk/wiki2/index.php/Royal_Navy (the only content!) and add something sensible, or follow the blue links in it which will open new articles for you to create.

The links aren't very clear - I will fix this now.

The wiki will be a great beast once running, and if you have some time and are feeling 'a bit shakespeare' then your input would be appreciated. For some inspiration from the ARRSEPedia, try these:

Thanks and enjoy! Questions in here please.
  2. I've started to make a few entries, but how do you list them in categories?

To anyone who is reading this and thinking about making a contribution, it's a piece of cake, easier almost than making a post on here.
  3. I had the same problem with adding them to categories with the version that's gone AWOL. AARSE has some very funny entries. Can I write one on Higthepig?

Have just added some entries:

HMS Ganges
    Royal Naval Training Establishments

I've also noticed that the links to wiki in the pull down menus on the RR Main Page do not appear to work at the moment.
  4. Thanks guys. It needs enthusiasm from a few to get it statred then it will gain momentum I'm sure.

I'll check the menu links now. Thanks for pointing that out.