Want to join

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jecka, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I have been looking at joining the RN for some time now but i am a little worried about the fitness test. I am a little overweight but have no problem with sports. I play football and go to the gym. I even tried the required running distance and time at the gym the other day and finished within an adequate time. Will i have any problems getting in?

2. Duh............................I dunno.

3. Depends what your BMI is,if its over 30,then youre

a.A fat Knacker

b.A rejection untill you reduce it.

Your GP will tell you your BMI

4. Here's a link to a self assessment BMI chart

http://www.bodyshapingtips.com/images/BMI-Chart.png

Hopefully this will help you understand at what weight you should be.

However, if in doubt you will be medicalled during the selection and the AFCO Medical Examiner will tell you if you need to lose weight.

SM

:nemo:

5. I would say that your BMI has to be right for your age and that considering you can pass your fitness test you would be fine.

But after joining Raleigh I seem to think that these rules no longer even apply!

Some people there was largly overweight which was blatently obvious.
    So how I wounder did they pass there medical?
    Do the rules not apply to certain people or something?

Someone please feel free to pm me about this because im obviously not going to say certain things on this forum but its bluddy stupid.

6. Oh, how I love the command of the English language, It`s so colourful and easy to understand, Isn`t it? :w00t:

7. I cant spell I understand that, no need to banter on about it.
    Why do you think I applied to join the Navy and not Oxford Uni?

8. Salvation Army wouldn`t take you? Is this a quiz?

9. Oh your a clever one you.
    You think your amazing sat there having a fight with your keyboard.

10. LMAO, Hig is on the war path

11. Goodnight Topaz, be kind to your children and respectful to your elders, enjoy your life in the Royal Navy, i really do wish you well, now stop stalking me.

12. Well I think they've finished ripping shreds off you!!!
    It was a dumb question though. If you can do it, you can do it.
    I'm going through the same self doubt thing but as one genius on here said, "stop effing around and just do it!"

13. A level of intelligence IS required to join the RN-- don't make out all matelots are at the the current level of educational mentality!

Bring back NAMET when a command of the ENGLISH language, not "bluddy" text speak was required!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

BH,
    Level of intelligence required to join the RN? Not in all branches........

15. I never said that no intelligence was required. Because that is a clearly dumb suggestion.
    But however, its not exactly required for me to be able to write a friggin essay with perfect flowing vocabulary is it..........?

16. On a genuine note, if you want to go in as an officer then it is required for you to be able to write an essay with at least some command of flowing vocabulary. I presume you're going in as a rating otherwise you would probably have known this, in which case it just helps to be able to communicate properly. Spelling is important because on the psychometric tests you're going to find the English very difficult, unless you know the difference between 'there' and 'their', 'were' and 'where', etc.

17. OMG Im not dumb!
    I was just trying to make the point that a person doesnt have to be a genius at vocabulary.
    Can everyone stop eating the shit out of me please.

18. I didn't say you were dumb, nor was I trying to insinuate that you are dumb. The words "On a genuine note" mean exactly that. Is reading not one of your stong points either?

19. Just loose the weight buddy. This time a year ago, I was a Heffing 112 kgs - I'm now a chubby 88 kgs. It will all help - if you can do the time now, immagine how much better you'l be when youve stopped lugging arround an extra 10ks or so. Hold that in your hand, and see just how heavy it is.

And hey, im going in as an Occifer - and my spelling is shot at the minute... Will be rather interesting for my "Life achievements" essay...

20. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Topaz,
    "Eating the shit out of you"!!!!?
    Is that something they do in Scunthorpe? No doubt it was you that put the c*** there in the first place (in Scunthorpe that is, I know English comprehension is not your strong point and you would not necessarily relate to the latter noun in my post.)