Wanna know how much aid we send to Sudan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Oil_Slick, Nov 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. £326 million over the last 5 years with another £114 million in the pipeline

:pig:

2. so peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

3. It maybe peanuts to us in the grand scheme, but I doubt it's peanuts to them.
    As the old adage goes, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

4. Enough though.

We give so much aid out, wouldn't that be better spent on us?

I mean, we have a failing health system, and a underequipped military, we should sort outselves out first.

5. I'm sorry but when you have protests for her to be beheaded I question do these people deserve aid?

6. I saw them on the news prancing down the streets of Khartoum waving their chopper about, they need to go down the pub have a few jars and chill out. Seriously why should our hard earned taxes go to these dark ages ingrates, we would do better to give our OAP's a decent pension for starters, our politicians need to take note regarding the will of what I am sure is the vast majority of our people.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, like the peanuts needed for a pool at Headley Court, unfortunatley the monkeys are chucking the nuts in the wrong direction.

8. Wet Blobby for P.M........ :thumright:

9. Seconded!

10. dark ages ingrates? don't you mean 'raghead bastards'?

11. I've been trying to arrange for this behind the scenes but HM refuses to appoint Blobbs without a proper mandate. ;)

12. I do but one does ones best to point oneself in the direction of political correctness at all times, does not one?

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No different to some of the sentiments displayed towards others of different faith/nationality/sexual persuasion/etc. on RR then?! :roll:

14. The only difference been SgtP that the Sudenese are on the receiving end of sums of money paid to them from involuntary taxation by those they wish to behead.

So do they deserve aid from this nation of infidels?

15. :afro: the next time you get an envelope thru your door,asking for donations to help Sudan! put a picture of a teddy in it!

16. If we don't feed them then the Russkies and or Chinese would. It is peanuts really, Uk government spend more than that on Photo copies each year.

No one MADE Her go there, she went of her own accord. Thus she should have understood that the country is living in the 14th Century. The enlightenment has not arrived in that part of the world Yet...Give it another 100 uears they may lighten up, but not in our time.

17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Must have changed a bit since my father's cousin got married in Khartoum Cathedral in 1948 - wonder what happened to that! Hooray for hysterical lefty 'anti-colonialists', didn't it do the Sudanese, Rhodesians of all colours, Congolese etc such a lot of good. I have read somewhere that the billions of 'Aid' (misplaced conscience money) poured into Africa is roughly equal to what its kleptocratic leaders have stashed away in Switzerland.

18. There are 40 million people living in Sudan.
    It is completely stupid of anyone to generalise an entire country by the actions of a minority (thousands of people).

Some of the comments here amount to racism and hatred towards a people who have done nothing wrong.
    And "raghead bastards" ? Go back to your caves you fuking apes.

The protesters in question just look like raving loonatics and I'd assume most people would think the same. The Muslim leaders in the UK and some other countries certainly do. The whole thing smacks of political attention whoring and my-oh-my has it worked an absolute treat.

The amount of aid given is literally nothing on the scale of things, especially when compared to aid given to other countries. But does foreign aid work? A virtually impossible question to answer as the results are extremely varied and mixed across the board. Personally I believe throwing money at problems doesn't really solve the root causes and the corruption of leaders and officials comes into play too (especially within Africa).

So quit being racist Daily Mail whores. Please.

19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don87: Totally concur with your comments. I am surprised (given the amount of experience and knowledge of other countries/cultures gained by some RR members) that these out of date armchair politics are still prevelant in our society.

But then it is much easier to become a sheep and spout whatever the proles are saying and conform to the status quo than to form an opinion of your own, isn't it? :roll:

20. Whilst agreeing with some of your comments I cannot agree that it is a minority shouting for instant justice.
    If the Sudanese justice system had any merit at all this stupid woman would have been arrested and instantly deported as an unwanted visitor.
    However this did not happen, a show trial was arranged and the woman sentenced to imprisonment. Her only crime being ignorant of Islamic traditions. Those marching and protesting do not form the judiciary of Sudan, the judiciary are the ones who have caused this outcry.
    Time is overdue for retaliatory action in the form of financial penalties.