"Walts"

PartTimer said:
It's sad that those who are able to afford such trinkets are able to attract more attention.
Ah, I see you're really just pished off that he can afford the bling rather than that he's wearing it. :roll:
Once again the bloke is only wearing bling medals that his service seems to warrant, surely it's a matter of personal taste rather than walting. Perhaps it says more about the Governments (All of them since the tests were carried out, that is.) lack of recognition and pish poor treatment of the Nuclear Test Veterans that some feel the need to wear this sort of 'decoration'.

lot of those add on medals are part of a charity thing--percentage of the price to buy is donated to some form of veterans fund.
Do lots of vet parades and nobody really cares about what others are wearing .
The main one now is wearing your relations medals on the right hand side .
I wear my Fathers medals on the Vets days each year. Rememberance Day and other parades I wear my own.

As previously mentioned --the medals available from 1956 0n were few and far between. Ships on station but
not completing the medal qualifying time --- another reason to cause discontent !!

The Cold War Warriors

Rumrat said:
SONAR-BENDER said:
Down here on the Costas, there are one helluva a lot of retired 22 Reg people! In fact there should be enough to create a 23 Reg should it ever be required!!

Funnily enough I have yet to meet anyone that used to operate out of Poole.........

And it is always THEM that offer the information when they find out I was a Submariner!! Muppets :x
Er I am going to break this to you gently, there is a 23 reg mate, google it.
As soon as I hit 'submit' I remembered that :oops: , but it is a Territorial Unit, and most wannabees (but by no means all) go for 22.

NZ_Bootneck said:
PartTimer said:
It's sad that those who are able to afford such trinkets are able to attract more attention.
Ah, I see you're really just pished off that he can afford the bling rather than that he's wearing it. :roll:
Once again the bloke is only wearing bling medals that his service seems to warrant, surely it's a matter of personal taste rather than walting. Perhaps it says more about the Governments (All of them since the tests were carried out, that is.) lack of recognition and pish poor treatment of the Nuclear Test Veterans that some feel the need to wear this sort of 'decoration'.
Maybe Nuclear Test Veterans deserve a medal, maybe not. The dangers weren't fully appreciated at the time - a few months on a tropical island must have been seen as a cushy number back then!

I've always thought that the MoD has got the medal policy about right, bar maybe a "Cold War" medal (with a bar for operating in certain areas, eg BAOR etc), and tensions in HK during the Cultural Revolution - probably other circumstances too. The more that area issued, the more you start devaluing existing medals (the situation with Bosnia etc in the early to mid '90s approached that). This is the argument behind not issuing extra bars to the Afghanistan Medal.

My point about the affordability issue that I was trying to make is that those that may have a more interesting story and issues (not saying this chap doesn't have one) may not get the press attention they deserve as this chap with all his self awarded shiny bling makes a better picture. As I said before I don't think he's a Walt - he's most likey done what he indicates on his chest, I just don't agree with the way he's gone about doing it.

As for donations to charity from these medals, I believe it's only the National Service medal that is sanctioned by the RBL (which seems to have opened the floodgates for everything else). As far as I am aware the rest are just money earners for medal makers.

Personally I'm in 2 minds about a National Defence medal, like the Australians have. Did we join up to get medals? When I first joined up a medal was a very rare thing to have (you could play spot the medal on divisions). This medal envy from some that served before seems to have developed during the 1990s, which were certainly the time to rack them up with so many post Cold War conflicts taking place.

Edited to add - Australian Defence Medal

Additonally edited to add, they have a Anniversary of National Service 1951-1972 Medal as well! That's going a bit far I think...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
B The Quarterdeck 25
Seadog The Fleet Air Arm 14