Walting Falklands 'Captain'

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SONAR-BENDER, Dec 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Posted for your delight and delictation!! Any comments???

Stuart Elliot cut an impressive figure in his Royal Navy captain's uniform, complete with war service decorations.
    He was said to have spoken proudly of his years at sea, recalled being an officer on HMS Coventry when she was sunk with the loss of 19 lives during the Falklands War, and regularly worn ribbons from two Gulf War campaigns.
    But last night the 51-year-old company boss was at the centre of a fraud probe after claims that he had never served in the Royal Navy, let alone become a decorated captain. Detectives are also investigating whether Falklands hero Simon Weston was taken in by Mr Elliott.

[​IMG] Lincolnshire businessman Stuart Elliott, who has been arrested on suspicion of fraud and offences under the Uniform Act.

As police confirmed that he had been arrested on suspicion of fraud and breaching the Uniforms Act 1894, it was claimed that his only experience of the Falklands had been working on a tug there after the war ended.

Police are looking into whether Mr Weston – the former Welsh Guardsman who was severely burned when his ship was bombed during the 1982 conflict – was duped when he agreed to formally open the premises of Mr Elliott's gas turbine maintenance firm TC Power Ltd.
    The company had moved to new headquarters, ironically on Falkland Way in Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire. The building was named Stanley House – possibly after Port Stanley, the Falklands capital – and Mr Weston allegedly believed the company boss was a fellow Falklands veteran and agreed to attend the ceremony.
    It is also claimed that some customers did business with Mr Elliott because they believed he had the added credibility of a former naval officer.

[​IMG] Falklands War hero Simon Weston pictured at home with his wife Lucy and son James

The married father of three was taken to a police station in Hull for questioning and has been released on bail until next month. He was described by police as 'very co-operative'.
    Detective Inspector Mike Reed said: 'Mr Elliott was arrested at his home address on suspicion of offences under the Uniforms Act and also on suspicion of fraud because some people alleged because of his status they only took up contracts with him because they believed he was a member of the Royal Navy and had this credibility behind him.
    'We have interviewed Simon Weston as part of the inquiry. Simon Weston opened part of his new business premises and I think he believed the story he was told that he was a Falklands veteran.' Mr Elliott was said to be unavailable for comment yesterday.
    Suspicions were raised by the ribbons on his uniform, which were in the wrong order. One denoting service in the Iraq War was apparently upside down.
    His decorations cover more than a quarter century of service, from the 1977 Silver Jubilee to the second Gulf War of 2003.
    They also include a submariner's badge. But a Royal Navy spokesman said: 'We have no record of him ever having served in the Royal Navy, or indeed in the Royal Naval Reserve.'
    The Uniforms Act 1894 states: 'It shall not be lawful for any person not serving in Her Majesty's Military Forces to wear without Her Majesty's permission the uniform of any of those forces, or any dress having the appearance or bearing any of the regimental or other distinctive marks of any such uniform.'
    As well as claiming to have been on HMS Coventry, Mr Elliott allegedly claimed to have been a Royal Navy liaison officer on board a civilian boat in the conflict.
    In reality he appears to have been a young crew member on a Hull-based tug boat the Irishman, which was sent to the Falklands several weeks after the war ended.
    Ray Scott, 70, who served alongside Mr Elliott on the Irishman, said: 'We had no hardship.
    'The fighting had long finished by the time we got to the islands. About the most we had to put up with were a few false alarm air raid warnings.'

Read more: Businessman 'posed as Royal Navy captain and duped Falklands hero Simon Weston into opening new premises' | Mail Online
  2. Standing there with his jacket undone, standards! A proper Naval Captain wouldn't dream of it.
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yay........ Jacks got a walt.........

Fcuksake, it's taken long enough, we've got to deal with this shit every week.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Was just thinking the same thing!
  5. Also looks like he's got the LS&GC ribbon on, done well for an SD hasn't he!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

:-D Have to say, I'm abso-bleedin-lutely delighted. At last!!!

Does the man know no shame?

What next, someone pretending to be a Chief Stoker?
  7. Hey I pretended to be a Chief Diver for many years..when I was actually was just a big OD !!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Your'e right. He'd have the buttons done up and have at least one hand in his pockets.
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Be still your beating heart........

He'll confess to being a chef next and no-one will ever know
  10. Just look at the suit material! It's not barathea is it???
  11. Scruffy bugger anyway! Cant even tie a neck tie properly.
  12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I agree with Blobbs in what he says about the RN having a walt, but there are two in this picture. Look at the person on the right with the clutch bag trying to make out they're in 45. Fucking outrageous. Mind you, i like the wig.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Quality post :-D
  14. You beat me to it Jim.

The order: Falklands (1982), GSM (Could be anytime), ACSM (Requiring 36 months qualifying service in 'his theoretical day'), LSGC (is it a min 8 years Ratings service?), Non-Art 5 (2003-2007 ish), ?????, Iraq (2003-??), First Gulf (1991) (all with the addition of Dolphins) is so obviously wrong. As pointed out LS+GC should be last. (Can a better spotter than me ID the blue and white one?)
  15. Blackrat

It looks like the Golden Jumbilee ribbon (i think).

I wonder if he's got one for back stroke?
  16. Might be the angle, but I would have said there was too much white for QGJM. I think I probably need to just let it go!
  17. The ????? is Military Cross. The Non article 5 / QGJ one looks more like the Distinguished Service Cross and the Long Service Good Conduct is 15 years.
  18. Blackrat

It certainly looks like it. Did he have the initials MC after his name? If not, he's the shittest walt since Arsene Wenger claimed to be Spock.
  19. With the thumb sticking out!! As they do!