Walt check please for old and bold please.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by inbredyokel, Oct 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hope some sweats can help me out on this.
    I'm working on board a cargo ship these days, and my boss has made a claim that raised my eyebrow more than a little.
    Now I was an 'orrible pongo who did AACC yeeeeeears ago, and I think I have some knowledge of how CTC used to work.
    My boss (who is funnily enough a complete throbber) was an RN Gunnery type, he claims that he worked as a non commando trained "Northern Ireland Instr" at CTC at some point in the 90's....not even sure what that means.

Now if my memory serves all training for NI was conducted by the NITAT team, which was an All Arms team, at Tin City....Lydd and Longmoor (never went to NI).
    Was there any such body at Lympstone who conducted training, and if so were there billets for non commando RN types (exempt females)?
    He's not aboard right now, and I sure that this guy is not on the level.
    Any abuse/help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. sounds like you got yourself a walt !
    the claim doesnt stack up circa late 70S thru 80s and 90s no such training carried out at CTC - cant vouch for before but very unlikley
    maybe some real old and bold can clarify prior to that.
    try and ask your walt when he was there - also what was his Navy SQ ?

Im sure the waltfinder generals will be along soon
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One of my work colleagues is a Navy Gunner - Chief Ops (Missileman) & cannot recall there being an RN Gunners' billet at CTC in the 80's or 90's.

He reckons that in 1979 RN Gunners didn't undergo formal small arms weapons training (Military Training) courses until they were Leading Hands & this was at Whale Island, taught by Royal Marines instructional staff. Similarly he underwent his full bore range qualification under the instruction of Royal Marines. The Ship Protection Organisation was set up after the Deal bombing & was taught by RN Gunners to RN personnel.
  4. Gunners were given small arms weapons training when I was in, I was given mine at trevol range in 1965 and a refresher up the island in 70.
    As well we were given same training for boarding parties and internal security.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Obviously things change over the years.

Apparently, from his memory, weapons training was carried out locally by ship staff & formal small arms training formed part of Leading Rates Course. As a Stoker, I haven't a clue to be honest.
  6. I along with many other matelots upon receiving a draft to SNONI or a patrol ship on the loughs done the m95 course at whale island, this was 79/80
    Most of the training was how to patrol as a "brick" set up vcp's etc, the training was mainly provided by Royal
  7. I did the two week SNONI course at HMS Cambridge in 86. Most of the instructors were Jack but one was a Bootneck. Possibly Sergeant level.
  8. i was always doing weopon training at whale islandseemed to have spent eons at tipnor !!
  9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The Corps did do some in house "anti Terrorist" or pre- NI training based out of CTC. It was done at Dunkerswell an old WW2 era airfield on the Somerset/Devon border. You'd live in a mini "tin city" and patrol the streets, make an arrest from the local pub, set up a OP in the church tower etc. It was part of nod training I think, I certainly remember doing it. Dont recall any matelots being there, unless they were the fcukers who set the dogs on us.
  10. Cheers for the help fellas...now have to work out how most humiliatingly rumble the f*cker on his return.