Wales Online: "The British Naval Hero, A 'Mystery Ship' And U-boat 83 "

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Apr 10, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "The war medals of a British seafaring hero who took on a German U-Boat are up for sale in Cardiff today – and collectors around the world are trying to snap them up.

Lieutenant Commander Arthur Lockington was decorated as the captain of a decoy ship used as bait to trap Nazi U-boats.

The Royal Navy launched a fleet of disguised fishing trawlers and old steamers – named mystery ships or Q-boats – to counter Germany’s submarine threat in WWII.

When a U-boat surfaced, wooden panels would drop to reveal a fierce armament of four-inch guns and the White Ensign would be hoisted."

The British naval hero, a 'mystery ship' and U-boat 83 - Wales Online

2. It is shame the family had to let them go but i hope they got a good price on them.
    Orthough no amount of money will equal the value of the bravery and commitment to duty the medals represent

3. I agree. It's always a sad day when you see someone's medals up for sale, for whatever reasons. Can't help feeling a little sombre inside.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

4. If I had the money knocking around or not already ear marked I would buy them and donate to the RN museum. It's a sad sight

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

5. Disgusting that people sell medals, it should be illegal. IF a family want to part with them, then they should be given fair market value by the service(s) concerned, and the medals should then be donated to a museum.