Wales Online: "HMS Dragon To Be Stripped Of ‘Welsh Dragon’ Transfer"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Sep 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wow! Didn't see that one coming...............

....despite comments months ago saying it was just a jolly jape until commissioning.

2. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

It's coming off this week. After a couple of weeks of to-ing and fro-ing. Get your pics in now, chaps.

Levers Aligned

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

She was out of rig, so that's that. Would have been a dog to keep it painted. I often wondered who (if anyone) had sanctioned the funnel badges that the original County GMDs wore. Before that funnel badges were squadron badges, such as the Fishery Protection pendant worn as a funnel badge by the Fish squadron. Nevertheless, soon after commissioning London acquired a huge red Sword of St Paul on the funnel - not sure if she started that or if one of her sisters got there first. Kent and Hampshire of course went for the white horse and the Hampshire Rose, can't remember what Devonshire wore but it should have been an oggy.

Happy memories of Kirkliston, whose Jimmy had paid a special visit to borrow the 50th MSS Trident stencil, joining the squadron with it painted on upside down.

4. Mermaid swapped her '2' for a 5 prong Trident on the funnel as she was ''5 power agreement ship'', fez 74-76.
    Skippers idea, well he was half Scot/Kiwi. .:brushteeth:

5. Nice idea, but is does look a bit gash on the front of her!

6. 5 prongs? upside down? wouldnt that be a "Pendent" dangling

7. Brinton was better, she had a giant Banana. Looked the Bees Knees. Curve Uppermost.

8. :scratch: .......................

9. I think Topstop means this:
    Curiously enough, the funnel badge of the old Portland-based Third MCM Squadron was a trident pointing downwards (i.e. in the direction of mines). When the squadron was reformed at Rosyth some years later, the trident was mysteriously pointing upwards.

10. Seaweed

We were not the Third at Portland, we were the 50th. The Trident was dreamed up by Bimbo Churchill the CO of Bronington, from the badge of his previous submarine, HMS Trident. But yes, the point was that it was pointing downwards spearing the mines.

11. Ooh alright then.

Tri = 3 Pent = 5

So "Pentdent" or Pitchfork if you want to be pedantic but then the dangley bit dont work.

5435026726_d1102b769c.jpg

I m very sorry an wont try too be a smart arse again, well a day or two any way.

12. I thought it looked quite good, would have been a pain in the ass tp repaint during a deployment though!!

13. If you served in HMS Bronington at Portland, then you were indeed in the 50th Minesweeper Squadron (MSS) which she joined in March 1960 after coming out of reserve at Chatham and having a Deltic conversion at Rosyth. She transferred to the 51st MSS, based at Port Edgar, in October 1961.

However, on 1 October 1962, the 50th MSS (Portland) was renamed the 3rd MSS, the 51st MSS (Port Edgar) became the 1st MSS, the 100th MSS (Portsmouth) became the 2nd MSS, the 101st MSS (RNR Divisions) became the 10th MSS, the 104th MSS (Far East) became the 6th MSS, the 108th MSS (Mediterranean) became the 7th MSS, the 120th MSS (Hong Kong) became the 8th MSS and the Vernon Squadron (HMS Vernon) became the 5th MSS. Mine Sweeper Squadrons became Mine Countermeasures Squadrons when Ton Class minehunter conversions were introduced, e.g. the 3rd MSS became the 3rd MCM Squadron in 1966.

Further information available in the entry for 10 Sep 08 in News Archive 23 of the MCDOA website's News Archives.

14. Sandy%20Sandison%20with%20Miner%20III%20med.jpg

Ships of the 3rd MSS at Portland outboard of Miner III during the mid-1960s. The man in the foreground is Lt Cdr A (Sandy) Sandison RN and the story behind the picture can be read in the entry for 4 oct 08 in News Archive 24 of the MCDOA website's News Archives.

(I probably should have started a new thread about this. Hope no one minds.)

15. Seaweed

More thread drift but I was No.1 of Highburton (MS50) December 1960-August 1962 and also for much of the summer of 1962 of Clarbeston (Highburton being in interminable refit, but I claim the odd distinction of being No.1 of two ships at the same time). During this period 50MSS comprised (on and off, refits permitting) Highburton and Clarbeston (leader, Alan Cawston), Bronington (Bimbo Churchill), Glasserton (Seamus Wardle), Kirkliston (Snow?), Gossamer (minelayer, Colin Maitland-Dougall) and Yaxham (IMS, Ronnie Laughton (his Jimmy was Jock Slater)). Clarbeston we retrieved from reserve at Marchwood and had her off the buoys under her own power within 48 hours. During this period the squadron visited Udevalla and Korsor and there were individual ship visits to Gib, St Nazaire, Brest, Amsterdam, Alderney and various other places. It was 100% good-oh. Highburton had a special rig for a device called Osborn which was overtaken by events and Glasserton for a towing cable which I suppose was for a future sonar.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  16. I am from Yowkshur, thik az pigshit.

17. So is I but I bin edjimmycated darn sarf.

18. i'm glad it's going It's an eyesore. That said, the same design mounted as funnel badge would be better

19. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

By the way - it was a decal, not painted on. I won't go into how much it cost.

There's been some debate about keeping it, I can reliably inform the board!

Levers