Waiting to apply...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Jtd1982, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

I am currently looking at joining the Navy, not sure which branch etc. I am attending the presentation at the Careers office shortly. I originally intended to join as a submariner but would like to give the RM a shot.

I am aware of the entry policy regarding asthma - but I am wondering when I can apply. I was told it has to be four years to the date of my medical, I will be four years clear by September so when is the earliest I can apply?

Also any advice on what would happen if I just proceed from next week? will the medical officer definately look into my records?

the reason I am asking is just that when I was making my inquiries they said that the medical can be some months after the initial application.

one last question, anyone know what would happen if my medical ended up being say, august and I failed on the grounds of one month - when/could I reapply?

Cheers guys

2. A wild shot in the dark here, but if they've said that the earliest you can apply is 4 years to the date of your medical then I'm guessing, and it is only a guess, that the earliest you can apply is..err...4 years to the date of your medical.

I would also imagine that if you have any medical background that might affect your application you will be required to declare it, and the medical officer will look into your records. Failure to declare things like that will be picked up on your background checks. Failing to declare such things will also show a lack of integrity on your part and may affect your application.

My advice would be to contact your local AFCO and they will tell you exactly how soon you are eligable to apply.

3. Mate if you want to go RM then use the time to get very fit.. then you will sail through PRMC etc and (hopefully) passout in Lympstone in front of all your friends and family.

4. Cheers for response guys.

They didn't say the earliest I could apply was four years, I was specifically told it had to be four years from the date of the medical. Is that done straight away? I got the impression that there was some time between the initial application and the medical. I have also heard (not officially) that it is possible to delay the medical, albeit prolonging the joining process

To be honest I have waited four years so a few more months aren't going to hurt, but I was just wondering really...

5. When you say, "some time", I think we're talking about 3-4 of months (assuming good waiting list and no issues) rather than 8 months. As has been suggested, you should speak to your AFCO when you get there to be sure.

6. A lot also depends on what branch you wish to join. If you go submariner or RM then it could be sooner rather than later.

7. If you intend to go submariner then you will have a more intensive medical when you get to Raleigh. Some of my classmates had to go to the Institute of Naval Medicine as they had Asthma as children.

8. go talk to the career advisor bloke he will know exactly when each branch will have its intake and if you time it right you can be in in noe time

9. From my own experience, if you applied now you'd have a medical way before September, I applied August time last year and had my medical in October.

10. Cheers for all the input.

Just to follow up, I went to the AFCO and they said to start proceedings now, do the recruitment test/interview then delay the medical.

I wasn't able to get any further info on the medical or not. I dont know if I'll be subject to a more thorough medical, or possibly ongoing checks? Anyone know what the procedure is for former asthmatics?

11. Think you'll just need a note from your doctor saying when your last subscription was and if it was above 4 years ago as you said it should be fine?