Waiting times for the RN! please help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by welchyy, Oct 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello this is my first time on the site.

First of all im one of these people who cannot decide what to do with their life. All i know is i want to start off in the military.

I was looking for which trades in the RN have the shortest waiting times, on the website i see AET's are needed?

I have qualifications up to good GCSE's

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. Don't chose your trade by the shortest waiting time. They are not published on here anymore. Visit your local AFCO and find out

3. Drakey's advice is sound. Choose the trade you want - it will be worth the wait otherwise it could be a recipe for disaster.

4. I currently have a RM application with the AFCO, but struggling with weight loss to pass a medical retake.

So I don't want to give the impression that my heart is not all for the RM, it is. Just looking to explore different options and have had enough of my day job now.

I'm looking at all the trades because i have no idea what would be best for me.

5. The problem is I think I would enjoy every trade.

6. Shortest wait is 9 months and the longest is 5 years. But choose your job on what they do not on how long it is to get in. As Drakey says pop into your nearest office and have a chat

SM

7. Would it look bad if i did this, then decided to carry on with my RM application?

Also, what trade has the 9 month wait?

8. The million dollar question!!!!

If you want RM's then you should go for that only. If you want the RN then you need to choose a trade

SM

9. Hmmmm, the problem is i really don't know what i want to do.

AET is something that interests me, how long would the waiting list for that trade be roughly?

10. Stop right where you are because this is a bad attitude to have towards your potential career. Forget the waiting times and choose one you like the best and then think about the wait. 9 months is a long time just to find out that you hate the job!

Have some inititave and look at the jobs you can do, we can't tell you what to do because how the fcuk should we know?

11. Would it be a better idea for me to bounce from one dead end job to another?

I have no idea what would interest me and have spent plenty of time researching different trades and speaking to people who have served.

Just looking for the waiting times as there are many different trades I would like to do and it would be a big factor in choosing which route I go down, as I have had enough of civvie street and would like to get stuck in ASAP! (I have already been in the RM application process for 9 months.)

12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Mr Dazed and Confused wrote

Yet you have an application pending for the Royal Marines and

If you don't know what you want, I'm sure we don't know either.

13. Looking for some advise into a career which will affect my whole life, and I get you.

Don't you have something more constructive you can be doing?

I have a Royal Marines application ongoing because it is what I have been interested in most of my life, but i am also thinking of what else there is to offer in the navy.

Why?

Because it is human nature, I think of this all day. Constantly pondering over the options available to me. I found this site and thought 'great, somewhere where people will advise me and provide knowledge that I do not have.'

Then I get reply's like that which do not help at all.

14. Don't bother, you won't like it and will cry out at the first chance. The indecisive never stick it and just cause us admin.

Try Greggs.

• Like Like x 1

15. I stuck at college for 2 years which I didn't like. I have stuck at this job currently for a year, which I hate. I stuck at my previous job for 2 years, which I hated. I have been to the gym at least once a week for 3 years now.

This, therefore makes your pathetic excuse for a wind up invalid.

I am simply looking for advice, why all the hate? Does this forum not like newcomers, you should close the registration to invite only.

16. Hello,

I feel you are just getting the answers you don't like or find helpful because no one is saying;

"Do this job as its great"

The reason being we are all individual and what's right for me is not right for you. So why don't you just wait for the medical to come round, and if you fail due to weight loss and you are offered another route, sit down with the CA and ask them the questions, they will have more of an idea of what may suit you as they will have learned abit about you.

In the meantime heres my advice, print off all the pdf.s from the website, sit down and read them all, place on the left what you don't like and put on the right the jobs you do like, then right down pros and cons, then search through this site's thread history and read info and stories and advice of those jobs. then hopefully you will have one or two you think are the jobs for you. Thens it is a choice you will have to make and plenty of time to think bout it whilst you wait for a start date.

The waiting time should not come into it, if you wanted to join the military as a kid, whats a few more years when we have waited all those others.

Good luck.

17. Looks like the only thing you like is eating tubby.

18. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

That and AET.

Can you see any contradictions in what you have written? The qualities that the Service look for in potential recruits aren't evident in your posts.

19. You go to the gym just once a week? is it next to KFC?

20. If you only go too the gym once a week, this might be the reason why you are not noticing any weight improvements?

Just a thought.

WSTB