Waiting times 2020 for a chef

Ni_Chef5678

Midshipman
Hey guys bit new to the website but just asking if anybody on here is aware of the waiting list for a chef, currently 17 have run time down to 9.30 so fit enough at the moment but hope to apply in May, if anyone could tell me how long it would be until I would start phase 1 at Raleigh if I start application process in May it would be greatly appreciated, from northern ireland if that makes a difference.

Many thanks

soleil

War Hero
Welcome, NiChef

There was a time not that long ago when I was hearing that there was a shortage of chefs and that applicants were getting very quick start dates, under 6 months, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what the exact waiting time is at the moment, but my guess is that you will have joined and may well be in the early weeks of your Professional Cookery training by Christmas.

You will be able to show off your new skills when you go home; a tray of freshly made mince pies is bound to go down well!

I'd like you to be sure, though, so I would give the Royal Navy Careers Advisors in Belfast a call tomorrow - their number is 028 9042 7040. Ask them whether they could tell you roughly how long you would have to wait if you applied to be a Chef.

By the way, you will have to do a Recruiting Test as part of your application - have a look here to see what kind of questions are included.

Good Luck!

Ni_Chef5678

Midshipman
Thank you very much man and many mince pies will be made so probs start phase 1 in october then if I was to start professional training at christmas

Ni_Chef5678

Midshipman
Also thanks for the recruitment test link, and if I call the office will I have to provide name etc or just able to ask the questions, again thanks hopefully it is less than 6 months cuz would like to go and start my naval career as soon as possible if the recruitment process goes well.

Many thanks again

soleil

War Hero
Also thanks for the recruitment test link, and if I call the office will I have to provide name etc or just able to ask the questions, again thanks hopefully it is less than 6 months cuz would like to go and start my naval career as soon as possible if the recruitment process goes well.

Many thanks again
You can just ring the number I gave you and ask your question. If you like, after you've said the question about the start date, you can say something like 'I'm James Smith - I'm hoping to join as a Chef this year, if possible".

They will be friendly when you call, they want people to ring up and ask about joining.

What they might do, as you sound very keen, is suggest that you fill in the Expression of Interest page for Chef online - this opens up the very earliest part of the application process.

Last edited:

Ni_Chef5678

Midshipman
This may sound stupid but if you register your interest what's the actual difference from applying outright like with the recruitment process start or will I be able to finish my college course that's why I'm applying on May 4th as I finish my course on the 5th of June and will have to collect certificates probs a month later or so.
Thanks for the help also been unreal to meet such friendly and helpful people

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Not to detract from the excellent advice above, the last I heard from my ‘source’ two weeks ago. We were in balance with chefs, Phase 2 courses are running at max numbers and the Financial Retention Incentive of £5000 has been withdrawn.

In essence, wait times for allocation (to Phase 1) MAY have increased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

soleil

War Hero
This may sound stupid but if you register your interest what's the actual difference from applying outright like with the recruitment process start or will I be able to finish my college course that's why I'm applying on May 4th as I finish my course on the 5th of June and will have to collect certificates probs a month later or so.
Thanks for the help also been unreal to meet such friendly and helpful people
If you register your interest, the people who do the initial processing will give you a call and discuss the possibility of your joining, following it up with another phone call in three months' time. If you opt for actual application, they start with the next level up in their processing, which is the eligibility checking.

You can opt for the actual application now, of course. The one thing I would suggest is that you take the RT (the entrance test) during your Easter break from college; that way, you don't miss any class time; you will also have more time at home in the days before you sit it for extra practice.

Let us know what Belfast say about the waiting time for Chefs and whether you decide to apply now!

soleil

War Hero
NiC

Something you might like to know is that one of the most popular dishes in the Royal Navy is called Cheesy Hammy Eggy. You can see one of the chefs making a version of it in this link.

It's really nice, everyone loves Cheesy Hammy Eggy!

You could try this one at home.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Just so you can hit the ground running when you get to Worthy Down

Or if you want a cookbook

(everything belonging to the RN is known as belonging to "pusser")