Waiting time for Medical Assistant (Submariner)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by sweetharmony, Mar 7, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I'm applying as a Medical Assistant (Submariner), I've passed my psychometric test, selection interview and PJFT, had security clearance and everything. Was just wondering how long I'll be waiting for a date for Raleigh if anyone has any sort of idea?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Have you asked your careers adviser?

I know GS is a year or two, but can't remember the wait for MA(SM), it's usually a bit less.
  3. I spoke with him today and was given my start date there amd then lol :)
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good effort. It's good to talk.
  5. Only got to wait 5 months which is a lot less than I was expecting!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. this gives me hope haha, I've applied for the same role! just passed my test now an interview next week.

can I ask, from the day of your test to your start date how many months roughly is it?
  7. My test was on monday! Lol
  8. ...I had my interview back in september though...
  9. damn that was so quick! I had my test yesterday! how did you so the medical, fitness be security so quickly?!
  10. also do you have any tips for the interview see as you passed!!
  11. Simply because I've got a brilliant careers advisor! My medical was a bit of a hiccup so put a bit of a delay on it.. As for the interview, relax, be yourself and be open and honest. It's nowhere near as bad as you think...
  12. They just told me they'd ask lots and lots of questions about the Navy and the job, obs I've done my research but I'm worried they'll ask me something and I simply won't know!

One thing, I've looked online and cannot find the answer! Where do you think we'll be based as MAs subs?
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Once you have trained up it will most likely be Faslane as things stand (they are called Boats or Submarines)
  14. get used to faslane. and IF you are female, get used to never having a foreign visit. or at best, having just a very few in the vast majority of your career

The job of an MA on submarines is a great deal less of being a traditional Medic mind. Very interesting, granted
  15. Why would you never have a foreign visit if you were female? (I am haha) I've done loads of research and the MA subs seem way more interesting and advanced than usual MAS
  16. because almost for sure, you will be based on V-class submarines...at least for the medium term
    they never go anywhere. Unless you are a very lucky person to on the one that goes to the states every 4-5 years.

it is an interesting job. a lot less plasters and bandages and more science-y if you get me. More health physics involved.
  17. Ah right, so I'll just be on a submarine that doesn't actually move or? I'm trying to research this and I'm not finding much luck haha.
    And yeah this jobs seems a lot more to learn
  18. No, V-boats do very much go to sea but the nature of what they are for means they go to sea, hide for many weeks and return to faslane.......have a period of maintenance....go to sea to train the crew, come back for a brief amount of time and the cycle starts again.

I know of many lads who have done A LOT of years on v-boats and they have never ever had a foreign visit in the RN whilst serving on one....which IMO, is pretty tragic as that is part of the deal of the RN...but each to their own.
  19. (Also female) lol... They do ask a lot of questions but you don't have to know everything, as long as you can show a genuine interest you'll be ok.
  20. Currently I have 2 A4 pages of research so hopefully I'll be ok! ;)
    Can I have an example of a question, like would they ask "What do you know about HSM Ambus" or is it more "Tell us about a sub" kinda thing?