Waiting time for an Aircraft Handler

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tsbpigeon, Sep 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Afternoon,

Does anybody have a rough idea of the joining time to becoming an aircraft handler?

I passed my interview last Thursday and now just awaiting a Medical date.

Thanks

2. Did it cross your mind to ask your AFCO.

I'd say next Monday but that would only give you false hope.

Seriously - ask the careers folk - it's the sort of question they are trained to answer!!!! (Strange as it may appear!!).

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'd be surprised if your Careers Adviser didn't give you an estimate at the time of the interview to be honest.

It doesn't really matter what other people may think as it depends on several factors and as rightly stated, your AFCO will know when you passed the test, etc.

What sometimes happens is someone crops-up on social media and claims they applied for such and such a branch & got an entry date in two weeks of selecting that particular job - neglecting to mention they completed selection a few years ago and got allocated a cancellation place after switching job preference.

4. Thanks for the quick responses.

I did ask the AFCO and they gave me a time of 12 - 18 months.

I just wanted to double check on here and throw the question out there to see if anyone had managed to get it sooner.

However Ninja has answered that anyway with his comment.

Thanks again for your quick responses its really appreciated.

5. Your AFCO will keep you as updated as they can, apparently (i say apparently not as i am claiming they may be lying but as perhaps i misunderstood) as soon as you are allocated a start date they get a message sent to them so there is no way they can 'miss' it. I think the wait lists are updated every month so wouldn't hurt to phone them every now and then, as long as not pestering and phoning every day :p as ninja said no point comparing to other people as this won't help predict when you will get the magic letter and will be frustrating.

6. Thanks RachelThree for your response.

I dont suppose you know much about the Medical. After reading some reviews it looks like Capita are in charge of these medicals and that they are thought of badly especially long waiting times for medicals etc.

We use Capita at work for clients who have been involved in RTA's and we tend to get appointments sent to us fairly soon for the clients. Would this be the same for Navy medicals or is it based on different criteria?

7. It's always best to double check on here. WTF do those guys in the AFCO know...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  8. I am just an applicant myself so can only answer from my experience which may not be in line with anyone elses. I recieved the letter inviting me to a medical and phoned them the same day and booked an appointment for a few days later. This could have been pure luck in that they happened to not be that busy, or it may be that people experience more of a delay in recieving the letter about booking the medical- cannot comment about that as i recieved it quickly. As the 'wait' starts from the time you sit your RT anyway a slight delay in passing the medical shouldn't affect the amount of time you end up waiting between RT and walking through the gates at Raleigh (in theory...), so wouldn't worry too much and just take it all as it comes :)

9. [h=2]"Waiting time for an Aircraft Handler"[/h]As a junior chockhead you will be sent for a long stand on a fairly regular basis I should think.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ssshh... OPSEC! If everyone knew that, every potential recruit will come on RR and continually ask the same questions about waiting times, ad infinitum :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  11. So when I keep asking the wife the same question until I get an answer I like, am I in fact running the risk of a severe [email protected] with a large kitchen implement? Yours throbbingly, sleeping in shed.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In one. :numberone:

13. So when I was told it was chicken bones and runes it was total bollocks!!! The lying two faced twonks!!

Maybe it was chicken boned before t' internet and I never received the update!!!!! :bigsmurf:

14. I was initially told 12-18 months then when I was speaking to my afco recently it had hiked to 26 months!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)