Waiting time after Recruit Test ? 2021

legend

Midshipman
Hello Al ,
Just as an update from previous posts . My Grandson sat his RN Recruit Test as soon as he was old enough and apart from passing he gained reasonable GCSE passes in Maths , English and Sciences . He however decided to stay on and take his A levels which he also gained reasonable passes in the above subjects in the hope it would place him in a stronger position academically if and when he joined the RN as a WEM Technician . He is now finished his A levels and is looking to progress his application with the RN . Could anyone in the know give me a rough estimation as to how long the process would take from now untill being accepted into HMS Raleigh if all went according to plan with his application ?
With thanks in anticipation

fishhead

War Hero
Hello Al ,
Just as an update from previous posts . My Grandson sat his RN Recruit Test as soon as he was old enough and apart from passing he gained reasonable GCSE passes in Maths , English and Sciences . He however decided to stay on and take his A levels which he also gained reasonable passes in the above subjects in the hope it would place him in a stronger position academically if and when he joined the RN as a WEM Technician . He is now finished his A levels and is looking to progress his application with the RN . Could anyone in the know give me a rough estimation as to how long the process would take from now untill being accepted into HMS Raleigh if all went according to plan with his application ?
I doubt you'll find anyone who is willing to have a guess. Because everyone's situation is different and the RN's manpower requirements vary from month to month any figure given could be wildly optimistic or horribly misleading. It is worth engaging with his AFCO to see if they are prepared to give a forecast .

MrsDaPops

Midshipman
Hello Al ,
My son started the process (joining as an aircraft handler) in March this year & has been told to expect a start date in July 2022 - but that won’t be confirmed until January… AFCO has been helpful but it’s now a waiting game & out of her hands.
In the meantime he’s back at college - he’ll stay there until the date is confirmed in writing.
Wishing you luck & patience!

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
Having applied on the day he was 15.75 years old in April 2020 my boy starts this month as an AET. Some roles take even longer and some are shorter. The AFCO will give you some idea but it is not 100% certain by any means. Initially my boy was told March, then July, then September.

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
Have you got a new tenant for his room yet?
Downsizing seems to be the theme currently......

I am not looking forward to his mother's reaction to all this. It's going to break my heart to see my youngest go, but I fear that's nothing to what my wife will feel. Guess who will reap the whirlwind that will surely follow?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Downsizing seems to be the theme currently......

I am not looking forward to his mother's reaction to all this. It's going to break my heart to see my youngest go, but I fear that's nothing to what my wife will feel. Guess who will reap the whirlwind that will surely follow?
I got away with all that when my eldest joined up.....I was at sea :)