Waiting time after initial application?

Discussion in 'RFA' started by dave11, Jul 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering how long it may take for the RFA to get back to me for the next step (RT I think it is)? Is it 6-8 weeks? Could it take longer having served in the army for 5 years?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once a fully completed online application is submitted, assuming the preferred RFA branch is recruiting, you'll receive a letter (or email) calling you in for test at your local AFCO - usually within a couple of weeks from submission of the fully completed application.

Those with former service will need to declare it & produce their discharge documents at interview so that the service history can be checked. Your former service medical docs will also be obtained for your medical.
  3. I put my app in 16th June. Had an email a week later saying it had been forwarded to Portsmouth RFA recruitment.
    A week after that i was told by email that i would be hearing from my local AFCO to sit the psychometric tests, and today i have received a letter from recruitment requesting further information and a copy of my service records.

Might be worth giving them a ring if you have had no confirmations back at all.

Hope this helps you dave11.
  4. Got letter from AFCO today detailing what to bring for test and the booklet. No further request for more information for me.
  5. Are you ex forces Stu?

I'm really curious as to why some of us seem to be getting this request for further info and some not?

I understand that part of mine was for a copy of my RN record but can't understand why i had to re write why i
    applied and why i chose SG2.

I don't mind as it gave me chance to write more than i could fit on the on line app form.... I'm just curious.

Hopefully others may be able to shed some light.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think you chaps are the first to go through the online application rather than the paper format. Probably a matterof glitches being ironed out.

As an ex-forces applicant, I don't believe my application took any longer than someone straight from civvy street. Recruitment opened in June, I sat my RT in the July, was invited to interview in September via email in August, provisional offer received October, formal offer arrived November, started training January.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Agreed, there are the odd few glitches.

Those with former service must produce their documents at some point as their service record & reason for discharge will be checked. You will delay your application unnecessarily if you are unable to produce them when asked, so if you don't have them, get them now because you may otherwise miss the window of opportunity to join.
  8. That would make sense.... you gotta love computers! :-|

All done, envelope sealed and going off in the morning next day recorded delivery.

Thanks for the input again.
  9. All my army documents are with the AFCO as I have a open application for the Royal Navy. I was told I can also apply for the RFA if I wanted to, which I have during this recruitment window. (I am currently waiting on Glasgow to send my medical docs before I can continue with my RN application) With the docs already in the office the RFA can have a copy of these almost instantly if they wish. But I am still awaiting the next step.
  10. I ain't ex forces. I noticed when filling in the online application some of the text boxes would not let you write more than a few words into the box.
  11. Yes i think they need to give more room for information such as why you want to join etc. After all its a way to sell yourself to them.
    I'm sure they are having some sort of feedback and maybe future on-line app forms will allow for more words.

That is why I'm glad I got the additional info request forms through so i could write more than i could on-line.
  12. Just got my email from AFCO Cambridge with a date to sit my RT :)

Happy...Pig & shit again :)

So time to up the revision on psychometric tests!

The Tour De France will have to take a back seat now.

Q/ I'm assuming i will also get confirmation of this in the post along with the test booklet?
  13. Best of luck. Hope you do well. I'm still waiting on a reply lol
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Got mine sent by post, but its already online somewhere. Use the search function on this forum and you should find it. Not really much help, 8 questions per section and once you've done it you remember the answers. Practice on the endless tests google throws up. Speed is the key. Stay calm.
  15. Thought you might get some different test Q's in the booklet that they send through. As you say, once you've done the RN examples once you remember them.

I'll crack on with the multitude of online ones. I time myself at 20 seconds a question on each test I do so I'm hoping this will give me enough time practice so the real thing isn't so pressurised for time.

I'm fine on all apart from the maths, need to speed up my mental arithmetic. School was a long time ago!
  16. What websites do you use?
  17. Thank you for the link. I'll have a look after work. :)
  18. No probs.

This book is also worth getting Dave... IMHO
    £6.99 from Amazon.