Waiting on medical, what's next?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by richard richard, Mar 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey,

Before calling the AFCO I was hoping someone would have a rough idea on my question.

I passed selection for AET 2 weeks ago, and now have my medical booked for early may. A good 6 weeks away. I haven't really asked about waiting times yet, I've been so preoccupied with actually passing RT etc I've only really now starting thinking about it. I knew it may be a wait but 6 weeks just for a medical seems like a lifetime away.

Once I've done my medical I presume it's the fitness test. Which could be more waiting. Could I be sitting around until next year to get in?

(I have been applying for jobs since returning to the UK but feels like a catch 22, when all I want to do is start working hard at my new role tomorrow!)
  2. I'm also going in as AET passed my PJFT in January and now waiting for entry dates.

I was told the expected time from completing your RT test to entering H.M.S. Raleigh is just under a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

After passing the medical you have 28 days to pass the fitness test. Your Careers Adviser will have told you an approximate start date after your interview - if you've forgotten, give them a ring.

I'd guess Jan/Feb 16 ish.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Hi,

He never did say anything about start dates. I remember mentioning I wanted to start as soon as possible, but I suppose that's what everyone says :p. Will call today to find out for sure.
  5. From making an application, how long is it [roughly] from start (form) to week 1, phase 1 training? I've been deferred until January so, if I applied again in Jan 16, how long would the joining process take, please? I'm sure this site must have been asked this a few times!
  6. I'm going for AET. I passed my pjft in Nov. Start date is July. Received that 3 weeks ago.

I was told however the waiting list for AET constantly changes so they couldn't give me a reliable estimate for start date when I asked after I passed the RT. Hope that helps.
  7. I just meant a RN application from start to finish :)
    Gaining my dental nurse qual in the meantime and was thinking of joining as one.

Thanks @overbeck
  8. when did you apply initially?
  9. Does anyone know, after Raleigh, how many times a year they take on AETs for phase 2 ?
  10. August last year squigga . It's gonna be different per individual. It wouldn't hurt going in to your local careers office with questions pre loaded and fire away.
  11. The same amount of times that they take on for phase 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That's great sooooo, If I applied the same time as you this year (as last) we'd be looking at a time frame of possibly about July-ish next year. OK then, cool.