WAFU`s doing their thing

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Topstop, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Impresive but I`d rather be 500` below them.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. OMG that is truly amazing. Note that it was the AH doing to magic in the pissy rain...Not the AE's :p

I suspects the one holding the camera was AET.

3. O/K for a one off , if it was an emergency. But i would say way out of tolerances, and highly dangerous for the Aircrew and groundcrew, notice no video of the Wafus putting the tie down or storm lashings on , they would have ended up over the side !!!!

4. Often it was left to the seamen to do the tie downs, having done the SMAC 19 and in the case above the advanced swimmers course course etc. :)

5. Why lash it down? Surely the harpoon will hold it to the deck as I can't imagine it will be stopping long.
    :)

6. SOP for small ships to lash down. The harpoon acts as a temp hold down and swivel for turning into wind when launching.

7. That would be the case on RN vessels if no embarked flight on board. Never do deck landings on a US ship. They use chain lashings and fit one at a time. We fugged them off after it took over five minutes to tie us to the deck. After that the boss elected to use negative pitch for the short time on deck.

Can't remember which Wx3 flight, but they took off with a chain lashing attached to the rear of the helicopter, whilst lifting of the deck of a DLG off Portland, (could have been the Isle of Wight), it pivoted about the fixed chain lashing and crashed into the sea/side of ship. Back seaters got out but the pilot didn't.

8. [Can't remember which Wx3 flight, but they took off with a chain lashing attached to the rear of the helicopter, whilst lifting of the deck of a DLG off Portland, (could have been the Isle of Wight), it pivoted about the fixed chain lashing and crashed into the sea/side of ship. Back seaters got out but the pilot didn't.[/QUOTE]

HMS Devonshire?

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As a matter of passing comment on DLGs, when we commissioned London from the builders the nets were totally inadequate as designed by MoD and we had to have them extended. There was also some tom fool mag loop intercom thing that was absolutely useless so the whole dance was orchestrated by hand signals. Having to push the cab round the corner of the superstructure and into the hangar at the side was no great help but we were stuck with that.

10. HMS Devonshire?[/QUOTE]

Gracias. If memory serves the pilot was Dutch. Or had a Dutch sounding name, Van ?

11. Gracias. If memory serves the pilot was Dutch. Or had a Dutch sounding name, Van ?[/QUOTE]

Van Someron?

12. Gracias. If memory serves the pilot was Dutch. Or had a Dutch sounding name, Van ?[/QUOTE]

Devonshire
    VAN SOMEREN, Richard S, Lieutenant Commander, C0155772H, 13/12/1976XM844DV-404Wessex HAS3737 NASCrashed during take off from HMS Devonshire off the Scilly Isles

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  13. Devonshire
    VAN SOMEREN, Richard S, Lieutenant Commander, C0155772H, 13/12/1976XM844DV-404Wessex HAS3737 NASCrashed during take off from HMS Devonshire off the Scilly Isles[/QUOTE]

Thanks Scouse.

I was on Pinger course at Portland when it happened. Scouse Slater was SAR diver on course with me at the time and was seconded from training to assist with the search and recovery of the body. Don't know why I thought the Isle of Wight, may have confused it with the two SK5's that crashed into each other.

Age!!! Bloody well plays havoc with the memory!!!!

14. Wafu's doing their thing?

No Sun bathing

No rack time

No air stations!!

Waste of time watching.

Bloody dangerous though, thats what we get the off airstation pay for!!!

15. Taint really a dedicated WAFU floaty thing though is it. Apart from the afor mentioned I didn't see a hanger with the usual 5 star rating for comfort!!!!

16. Didn't the Devonshire have another Wessex smack into the side of it on a Families Day?

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

18. I read something like that when researching the name of the pilot. It wasn't uncommon to have blade strikes whilst doing fly-by's. I believe Fife was also struck.

(Saying that I was in a SK5 when we struck a PAS boat off Fairlie of Ayrshire - luckily for my reputation the Obs was in control at the time), 5 Rotors written off, one was short by some 18 inches!!! Forced landing in a housing estate car park!!!!!

19. The pilot's name was something like MacKenzie I think. If it's the chap I'm thinking of he became CO of Scylla.

I may be totally wrong on this of course.