Waffoos Captaining our principal warships

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The collective noun for the Fleet Air Arm. Usually seen as an abbreviation
‘WAFU’ unless the writer wasn’t in the Navy long enough to know the difference. Qualified to criticise Officers’ appointments though.
WAFU - Royal Navy MLA for Weapons And Fuel Users. These are the nice chaps that fix the odd Lynx/Merlin/Sea King from time to time. Mainly found lounging in the hangar sipping tea and swapping dits of the night out before. The term itself is an acronym of Wet And Flaming Useless. It applies to any member of the Fleet Air Arm.
Waffoo the lower orders of Wafu

Ballistic

War Hero
WAFU - Royal Navy MLA for Weapons And Fuel Users. These are the nice chaps that fix the odd Lynx/Merlin/Sea King from time to time. Mainly found lounging in the hangar sipping tea and swapping dits of the night out before. The term itself is an acronym of Wet And Flaming Useless. It applies to any member of the Fleet Air Arm.
Waffoo the lower orders of Wafu
It's good netiquette to quote the source when copying and pasting directly from a website.

Here you go, I'll do it for you:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/WAFU

From an army site :rolleyes:

Sumo

War Hero
We had a WAFU skipper on Danae, he was relieved from his command at a critical part of 1982. He was not a good driver, when we hit something hard, engine room bridge, what the f*#*# did we hit, bridge, engine room, Germany! . There was always a case of wine between the Jimmy and MEO, if we had to go full astern, when coming alongside, MEO won, if by luck we made it alongside with no incidents, the Jimmy won.

Waffoo is Wafu in its pejorative sense.
As I understand it "Waffoo" was coined by the Waaf's at RAF Snaith in WW2 when referring to certain effeminate airmen they had had inflicted on them.
Neither Commodore CP or His Dad served in WW2 or presumably at RAF Snaith so your argument is dead in the grass, they were both Wafu's. Airmen, a term used for our light blue brothers (and sisters). Even Naval Airmen don't call each other "Airman".

Taztiff

War Hero
Even Naval Airmen don't call each other "Airman".
Thank god the Chief at the recruiting office talked me out of being a Naval Airman and into being an apprentice then! I don't think I could of handled being a Naval Airman and being called 'stokes' or 'jack' or something else then 'airman'. :(

Waspie

War Hero
An Airy Fairy who uses too much FooFoo :)
You never shared a mess with Kim Darke!!!! (ships greenie). He used a weeks supply of foo foo after a shower!!! Once sent a search team into the cloud to see if he was ok!!!!

slim

War Hero
You never shared a mess with Kim Darke!!!! (ships greenie). He used a weeks supply of foo foo after a shower!!! Once sent a search team into the cloud to see if he was ok!!!!
Was he a mech?
We had a Kim Darke on the Manchester

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
trelawney126 Current Affairs 2