Volunteering for compulsory mobilisation

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by thehuntforredoctober, Dec 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible for a post-Fleet Board subbie to get mobilised? And how would one go about it? Don't get my second stripe till next year, but for now I seem to be one of several in my unit who hasn't a clue.

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

To do what exactly? No offence, but you're barely trained and the majority of jobs for Officers are usually looking for relatively experienced officers.

3. How can you volunteer for something that is compulsory? An oxymoron surely?

4. Speaks volumes about the difference between the services - the same would never be said about my contemporaries who are subalterns in the TA who are out there at the moment.

5. I think he is after "compulsory" mobilisation, in order that his civvie job is protected. If you volunteer it ain't.

6. Depends, which branch are you and have you reached the trained strength?

7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Speaks volumes about the difference between the services - the same would never be said about my contemporaries who are subalterns in the TA who are out there at the moment. "

The TA has a very different manning requirement to the RNR - the majority of RNR jobs are done either by junior ratings, or by experienced (ie Lts with several years seniority, or Lt Cdr) officers.

I'm not trying to knock you for your willingness to deploy, but you have to accept that you're barely off the starting blocks for your RNR career, and probably don't have the exposure, training and experience yet to credibly do a job in theatre.

8. May not be my place to say anything here, but could the TA be trained with the idea of more immediate deployment in mind?
    Or, if they have training which is after basic and before deployment (what I would call professional training), this is undertaken sooner after basic?

C

9. Yes you can. Get in touch with NPT (Res) and they will then see if there is anything suitable. You have obviously not been listening to NPT's lecture to you at BRNC.