Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteering abroad before my start date?

Turtle RN

Midshipman
Hi all

Can someone be a top bloke (or gal) and help me out? I've got a date for my PRNC and my Raleigh start date, they are three months apart. I volunteer and have been offered a place on a trip to Nicaragua during the PRNC/Raleigh waiting period. I really want to accept the offer but it just occurred to me (I might be being overly cautious) that they might not want me to leave the country? The placement is for 10-12 weeks. I will make it back in time for Raleigh of course. So my question is, is this going to be an issue?

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
In my experience, as long as you are contactable by email throughout, have fully completed all elements of selection, remain"in date" for medical, pjft & security clearance, are able to attend all pre-entry briefs & courses, your time overseas is less than 180 days, you remain fit and you continue to train (including regular swims) and you are back in UK at least a week before PRNC and a week before joining, then it's worth having a chat with your AFCO.

Be aware, if you do not remain in contact through email whilst away and your AFCO cannot communicate directly with you, then there won't be a job waiting for you upon return to UK.

slim

War Hero
I would be wary of going to third world countries 3 months before joining just in case I contracted some nasty tropical disease.

Turtle RN

Midshipman
Ask my AFCO?! Why didn't I think of that?! It was Friday afternoon and the company I was volunteering with wanted an answer ASAP. I couldn't talk to my AFCO until today. Unfortunately it was an issue. You aren't allowed to be out of the U.K. for more than 28 days because of the security clearance. So that sucks! Thank you for trying to answer though.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Unfortunately it was an issue. You aren't allowed to be out of the U.K. for more than 28 days because of the security clearance.
News to me.

I know of people living overseas who come to UK to undertake selection, return home, gain SC whilst living abroad, then return to UK in time to join. That said I also know of chimps that disappear overseas who fail to maintain contact and lose the job because of it.

Odds are, if you decided you needed definitive careers advice at 11.19pm on a Friday, for an offer overseas that needed an immediate answer, the odds are it was an ill-planned venture. Did it involve delivering packages?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Volunteering for the SBS Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 20
Seaweed Volunteering for Special Service, 1942 History 0
T Volunteering for compulsory mobilisation Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
MoD_RSS New Government partnership with airlines to fly back more tourists stranded abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus (COVID-19): Foreign Secretary's statement on support for British people abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sledge and flag from Shackleton’s Nimrod expedition at risk of being lost abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Can you give me 50 Cent’s phone number? 2019’s most unusual requests from Brits abroad MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS Delivering on all the SDGs both home and abroad matters to us all MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Northamptonshire business boosting health abroad MoD News 0
vauxhall Living Abroad Life Certification Finance & Pensions 0
MoD_RSS News story: Register your trailer if you want to take it abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Register your trailer if you want to take it abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New labelling requirements to help motorists pick the right fuel at home and abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: ‘Strictly’, vampires and sausages – 2018’s oddest requests from Brits abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New boost to showcase ‘best of British’ creativity abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New scheme for NHS staff to tackle AMR abroad opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New law proposed to safeguard UK citizens' healthcare abroad after Brexit MoD News 0
themuddyduck No Medical History in the UK and A Surgery Abroad? Joining the Royal Navy 6
themuddyduck 5 Years Residency Requirement? British National that lived abroad Joining the Royal Navy 2
vauxhall Deciding to live abroad Finance & Pensions 9
MoD_RSS News story: Stay Safe Abroad this Summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Defence Secretary salutes Scots troops who keep us safe at home and abroad MoD News 0
E Pension when living abroad Finance & Pensions 3
8 RFA and living abroad RFA 3
J Travelling abroad on holiday Current Affairs 10
soleil Mail: "Eating Next To A Church etc - Bizarre Ways To Get Arrested Abroad" Travel & The Great Outdoors 1
trelawney126 Labour Defence Policy commits troops abroad its proposed Current Affairs 2
D Holidays Abroad The Quarterdeck 17
frogman007 Any Ex's getting tax free abroad Finance & Pensions 2
S Breathalyser Abroad Motoring 6
daffy1 An Idiot abroad. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 1
soleil Supreme Court: Soldiers Abroad Not Protected By Human Rights Current Affairs 2
docherty trip abroad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
F Travel Abroad Travel & The Great Outdoors 2
S Restrictions on living abroad after the Navy The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 12
D my experience of taking a language course abroad Travel & The Great Outdoors 0
dumdum Going on holiday abroad The Gash Barge 3
TurboThreaders christmas abroad. The Corps 2
Geoff_Wessex Pusser's Pension abroad Bases / Shore Est 21
MoD_RSS “Our fresh start means we can make all four corners of the United Kingdom stronger and more prosperous than ever before” MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chilean Chevening scholars meet Ambassador before travelling to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS All possible measures to be taken before schools and colleges close MoD News 0
J Before I join Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
K PJFT I did mine before my interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
K Passed medical, what is next and how long should I expect before intake? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS From the South West to Scotland - check before you travel this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “Events, Dear Boy”: managing incidents before they become crises MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More Kuwaitis studying in the UK than ever before: op-ed by Michael Davenport MoD News 0