Volunteering abroad before my start date?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Turtle RN, Dec 4, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Can someone be a top bloke (or gal) and help me out? I've got a date for my PRNC and my Raleigh start date, they are three months apart. I volunteer and have been offered a place on a trip to Nicaragua during the PRNC/Raleigh waiting period. I really want to accept the offer but it just occurred to me (I might be being overly cautious) that they might not want me to leave the country? The placement is for 10-12 weeks. I will make it back in time for Raleigh of course. So my question is, is this going to be an issue?

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm thinking outside the box here, but why don't you ring your AFCO?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In my experience, as long as you are contactable by email throughout, have fully completed all elements of selection, remain"in date" for medical, pjft & security clearance, are able to attend all pre-entry briefs & courses, your time overseas is less than 180 days, you remain fit and you continue to train (including regular swims) and you are back in UK at least a week before PRNC and a week before joining, then it's worth having a chat with your AFCO.

Be aware, if you do not remain in contact through email whilst away and your AFCO cannot communicate directly with you, then there won't be a job waiting for you upon return to UK.
  4. I would be wary of going to third world countries 3 months before joining just in case I contracted some nasty tropical disease.
  5. Ask my AFCO?! Why didn't I think of that?! It was Friday afternoon and the company I was volunteering with wanted an answer ASAP. I couldn't talk to my AFCO until today. Unfortunately it was an issue. You aren't allowed to be out of the U.K. for more than 28 days because of the security clearance. So that sucks! Thank you for trying to answer though.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

News to me.

I know of people living overseas who come to UK to undertake selection, return home, gain SC whilst living abroad, then return to UK in time to join. That said I also know of chimps that disappear overseas who fail to maintain contact and lose the job because of it.

Odds are, if you decided you needed definitive careers advice at 11.19pm on a Friday, for an offer overseas that needed an immediate answer, the odds are it was an ill-planned venture. Did it involve delivering packages?
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Probably internally??