Volunteer Trainers needed with the Sea Cadets!

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by tcrewdson1011, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

The Sea Cadets are a youth organisation offering training to young people aged 10 to 18. We are in need of adult volunteer trainers.

We recruit volunteers aged 18 and over to deliver training to our cadets. And we supply full support and training to our volunteers to enable them to fulfil their role well. The training we provide includes: Instructor grades, SCC Offshore Sailing, SCC Offshore Power, RYA Dinghy Sailing, RYA Wind Surfing, RYA Power Boating, SCC Rowing, BCU or SCC Paddlesport Coach, SCC Shooting (Small Bore), SCC Shooting (Full Bore), BSAC Sub-Aqua Diving, Adventure Training, Rock Climbing/Abseiling, Bandmaster (DoM or RMSM approved, SCC Meteorology plus much more.

The Sea Cadets use a nautical theme based on the customs of the Royal Navy to teach skills from cookery to computers, engineering, first aid, sailing, navigation and the art of seamanship both on land and on the water. We are currently looking for volunteers aged 18+ to help teach cadets these valuable life skills. Volunteers need no experience just a passion to work with young people and a willingness to attend training. Today, 14,000 young people based in 400 units in towns, cities and ports across the UK are challenging themselves and developing new skills supported by 9,000 volunteers.

What we do: Adventure Training, Camping, Canoeing, Cook/Steward, Communications, Diving, Drill, First Aid, Field craft, Kayaking, Marine Engineering, Meteorology, Mountain Biking, Mountain Leadership, Navigation, Physical Training, Pulling (Rowing), Sailing (including offshore), Seamanship, Shooting……………….

If teaching the cadets isn’t your thing and you can’t make a weekly commitment you can donate your skills by helping on the Sea Cadets Committee. The units need support with admin, fundraising, PR and marketing, boat maintenance, accounts and much more.

For more information, please get in touch! My email address is [email protected].

2. My boss is a ATC officer and gets paid RAF pay when he is away. Is this not true for the sea cadets as well?

he can also order uniform from the local RAF base, I remember as a sea cadet all the stuff was 82 hand if we were lucky!!
  3. Not that I'm bitter and twisted or anything, but when I came outside I offered my services to the local unit, having really enjoyed my time as a cadet. The instructors (at the time) were a waste of oxygen and treated me and my offerings as shit. Made me sit in a corner while they all laughed and joked. Three times I went and achieved zip - their loss!

No names, no pack drill and it was a few years ago.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. That can certainly be a problem - clique-ness will make it virtually impossible to join a local Unit if your face doesn't fit. Sadly, this is much like many other volunteer organisations too.

All I can say to that is same as you - their loss. They had someone with skills and knowledge willing to give up time effort and to a certain extent money (remember, it is a hobby - it just feels like a job at times!) and if they were not that interested then they are the probably the poorer for it. After all, what goes around comes around and there can come a time when you are desperate to attract staff and can't because of a poor reputation of being unfriendly and unwelcoming.

There are usually other Units close by (ish) so if anyone really wants to give it a try and encounters a situation like this then go to them as an alternative. It may be completely different and perfectly accommodating. And never write of a Unit completely - just because they were gash some time ago, they may also have had the necessary kick up the ricker by a new CO to improve their attitude and outlook.
  5. Our Local unit has no EX RN/RM in charge, all civvies.

Would help out but Mrs JFH is already threaders with the amount of RNA stuff I am doing.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In my experience, cadets is like the triangle of fire. You need three different elements to make it work and these are;

Instructors that are ex-forces
    Instructors that are ex-cadets
    Instructors that are civvies

If all of the above are there, it works and works well.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

JFH, in answer to your pay question, I think the answer is no. I seem to recall from my days as a cadet that the SCC are a charity, whereas the ACF and ATC are supported by their relevant service.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Now theres a question of equality to the MOD.
  9. Correct. You can draw SCAVA for certain activities (although the term pay is not used it still gets taxed!) but in the main you do it for the fun of it.

Allegedly. Still, can't take a laugh . . .

TBH, if someone was wanting to join a Unit solely based on fiscal gain, or as a major reason to do so, then they need to look elsewhere. There is a reason they are called "adult volunteers".

RN support comes from some staff - a serving Captain as the head of the uniformed side, Area Officers (although the Commanders are being replaced by RNR or retirees), an RN Lt on the TS John Jerwood - some kit mostly in clothing but also in some craft although these are being phased out as more and more needs to be purchased, and a block grant to National HQ that is cascaded to the regional training centres to pay for wages of employees and travel expenses for the trainees as there is a set fee for courses regardless of where you are from and where you are going.

Each Unit is it's own charity in it's own right and all have to fund-raise for themselves.
  10. Blackrat

I believe that's still the case in relation to the SCC mucker. The ACF have extremely close ties with the Army, as have (most) individual units with their affiliated Regiments.

Those wishing to become Officers in the ACF have to complete a pre-CFCB (Cadet Forces Commissioning Board) at their relevant county. If they pass this, they then have to attend the Army Officers Selection Board at Westbury for three days. If successful, they get granted a TA (Class B) Commission.

I'm not sure of the process for SCC Officers, but a Crab Cadet Rupert told me he had to undergo a "harrowing" interview. How the other half live eh?
  11. Slightly more than that BR, but each to their own!

SCC Officers are RNR as honorific only and not commissioned. They are very distinct from RN / RNR by continuing the wavy-navy tradition with the RNVR insignia. They are promoted solely for the SCC and no other purpose.

It can get a little complicated if you have a current RN / RNR career while simultaneously volunteering for the SCC, but that is another story.
  12. It seems weird that the two other cadet forces have similar rules and more in line with their respective services and the SCC are as the RN the poor relations.

My boss ( graduate never served) seems to get exactly what he wants for his ATC unit, MT from the local crab base, tents, ration packs etc etc. however the cnut spouted some crap when Libya flashed up about him being on standby, we fed on that one for weeks!!!

it the same with the RNA, we are having to make some stickers for armed forces day for the collection as we can't get any from HQ, the RAFA stand will be a camp as Christmas.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Blackrat

I do feel for the SCC. The local unit to me is a blinding little one and i'm quite fond of it. They invited us to to their Trafalgar day dinner the other year, which was a good crack. Not so long ago, i gave it a load of 58 Webbing we no longer needed (they had **** all) and they were extremely grateful. Little do they know that they're going to get shed loads of green kit, as we've upgraded to MTP now and have a surplus. They have a collection tin on the bar at the local RNA and they do quite well out of it. The crab units in the area are quite good, but the majority of staff are up themselves and give off a whiff of the twat in my eye. The cadets seem ok though.
  14. tiddlyoggy

BR, yeah, I know a little about the ACf, my boy is a member of the local unit here. I agree with you, what they receive in terms of support, in all forms, is far superior to anything I recall the SCC getting.
  15. tiddlyoggy

Out of interest, does anyone know how the Guzz Unit(s) are fixed for staff? I always imagine they'd be inundated, but it's something I'd consider when my time is done (work allowing), I loved my time in the SCC and I'd love to give a bit back.
  16. No idea shipper, opposite end of the country from me, but I suspect that they are just as much on the look-out for dedicated and competent staff as any other Unit. Make enquiries nearer the time and see what happens.
  17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To echo previous comments, I contacted my local Sea Cadets and Sea Scouts units - both within walking distance of my home. I left with a host of transferrable and desirable skills, including an array of RYA qualifications. One unit did not acknowledge my email while the other was severely lacking in any form of welcoming warmth, almost reluctant to invite me to attend for an interview or just a chat to "show face and grease palms". :oops:

Suffice to say, I now offer my voluntary services to other organisations that benefit the community as a whole, not necessarily those that have a nautical theme. Their loss, indeed.
  18. Blackrat

I do find it baffling that some of the SCC units are turning down help of this kind. Although it's not a pre-requisite to be ex forces to be an instructor (not all those that have served can instruct), as i've indicated before it is extremely valuable experience. The biggest problem we have in the ACF is the amount of bloody walts that rock up after serving 12 weeks, but state they were in the Pathfinders. They have no idea that we actually check up on them through the MoD, the thick twats.
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Perhaps i should've tried my hand with my local ACF unit then, BR. I'm a dab hand at cravat knot-tying and I've got the "Bad Lads' Army" boxset at home... :cool: