voices on the radio

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by golden_rivet, Nov 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else find that they are particularly sensitive to voices/accents on the radio?

I've just had to switch off the radio because I couldn't bear to listen to the Scottish female MEP who was about to be interviewed's voice. It was like a combination of a severe head cold, a mouthfull of cake and a lisp all rolled into one. I often have to switch off when people with lisps and 'furred up' voices are on the radio. Most regional accents I like (except Liverpool and Brum) but this lispy drippy way of talking really hurts my lug holes. Does no one get sent to speech therapists any more for goodness sake? I once pointed out to my brother that his daughter has a lisp and that perhaps something should be done about it and he went mad. She's now 18 and though she is brilliantly clever has a voice like a mong.

Rant over ...

2. Yes i can totally relate to what your saying. Many a time ive had to turn the radio off, especially when its someone with a monotone voice (like all of them chimps that have recently started acting in Hollyoaks).

It really annoys me and sounds so BORING. Thank god for CD's!
  3. The one that really gets me is when the person speaking clearly has a dry mouth and needs a drink of, well, something! All you hear is the "slurp" as their tongue releases itself from the top of their mouth - enough to make the porridge and coffee in my morning tummy churn!
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's funny, I have one of the regional accents you dislike & happen to agree with you whole-heartedly.

It's something you aren't particularly aware of day-to-day, but you become aware of it when you move away, in my case, joined-up. (I think the Liverpool/Brum accent derives from the Irish, although different - there are similarities, because of the spud famine migration & the railway/canal navvies.)

Things drew to a head for me, as an instructor at the fireschool in Fife, they couldn't understand me & vice-versa. Over the years my accent has moderated, the tempo slowed & the diction improved, if only to be understood.

My belief is that there is actually a "Naval accent" it's a cross between Cockney/Pompey & Australian. The American accent, whilst annoying, is interesting as it's essentially derived from 18th century English.

The Royal Navy, whilst not only being the source of a huge amount of common British phrases, is also a major source of English-speaking accents worldwide.
  5. How did making someone pregnant in a foreign land and then buggering off to sea and leaving them to get on with it pass on the language and accent? :thefinger:
  6. sorry Ninja darling - nothing personal - and how come then I love the sound of Irish accents? I even quite like the Belfast one which some people make a fuss about ...
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

GR: No longer hve the accent, but I'm Irish... does that help?! :wink:
  8. As a dedicated and regular listener to Radio Four (including the Archers!!), and a Londoner born, I can understand and tolerate most accents, but get really wound up when any female starts up that "mid Atlantic" nasal drone with rising inflections at the end of each phrase - that's when I reach for the off switch. Mind you, Gorbals Mick and his ilk don't do a lot for my sensitive hearing either!

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I sympathise, but I cannot wait until I hear some 'proper' accents on the radio when I leave this place... the three radio stations here are all American and all they play is Country & Western, MOR rock or R&B!! Now I like all types of music, but there I like a bit of variety... 8O
  10. Sure the voices are on the radio GR, not in yer wee heid? An'nat, no?