Vive la France!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, Apr 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This seems to be going the rounds by email so I thought I'd share it. Don't know who started it.

A U.S Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies.

At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of the countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English.

He then asked "Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?"

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied "Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies, Kiwis and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."
  2. Ouch !! :lol:
  3. While we're having a go at the French go to Google, type in "French military victories" and hit I feel lucky
  4. "Why are all the streets in Paris lined with trees?"

"So German Armies can March in the shade!"
  5. New french flag = a white cross on a white background.
  6. Go ahead knock the French ..
    But in the present elections the turn out has been more than 85 percent, as opposed to the less than 40 usual in UK elections.
    That doesn't sound like any kind of complacency to me.
    Strikes me that they are politically aware and pretty much on the ball.
  7. OMG!!!! LOL in fact ROTFLMAO!!!!!please try it........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. Well thanks Sussex, I love to knock the French but now I have your permission I shall feel much better whenever I do it. French politics are a joke, their politicians seem even more corrupt than ours and French politics provides a good reason to retain an independent deterrent. What a great democracy they have, less than 50 years ago they nearly had a civil war until De Gaulle stepped in - they are on their 5th attempt since the revolution, which wasn't exactly bloodless!

Since the 1945 general elections the UK voter turnout has only fallen below 70% twice in sixteen occasions and that was in 2001 and 2005. I do not know whether recent voter apathy is linked to Mr Brown bribing so many with benefits............

How can you compare a turnout for a Preidential election with a turnout for a general electon?
  9. Your Taxi is on its way, I suggest you eff off outside and wait for it.
    "Knocking the French" is as much part of our makeup as drinking Tea and eating sarnies sussex. Its almost written in Law!! Doesn't mean we wouldn't go and help them out again though, and don't you forget it :twisted:
  10. Reluctantly, very reluctantly :lol:
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yes I agree we shouldn't knock the french....fnar,fnar, yeah right :twisted: :lol:
  12. That's the funniest thing I've seen this year!!
  13. Defeats indeed! :D That is funny xx French election results anyone? oops...not going to laugh again...??
  14. An oldie but a goodie..!
  15. "There is no way of dealing with the Frenchman but to knock him down - to be civil to them is to be laughed at. Why they are enemies!"

Horatio Nelson. 11 Jan 1798 after the surrender of Capua.
  16. I don't give a damn I like them and theyr'e quirky little ways.
    What other nation would put shiny organge plastic on hotel bedroom ceilings I ask you? :wink:
    At least it is a republic (Dons' tin hat and waits for fallout).
  17. Short, concise and to the point, "Fcuk the French".
  18. And doing that has from time to time been one of the greatest pleasures in life :wink:
    Hence my knowledge of the hotel rooms.
  19. Ditto , :twisted: :twisted:
  20. Permission granted!
    I stand corrected and apologise for the error.
    Still like the French though! oh and just about everyone else this side of the Atlantic; as for the lot on the other side then the jury is still out, we'll see how they behave when Castro finally dies.