Visual Acuity measured at pre-entry medical?

good morning,
I read in previous threads that Visual Acuity was not measured by the Medical Officer, but I noticed that JSP950 refers to a measure of Visual Acuity at pre-entry assessment using Snellen chart at 6 meters and that this test has more value than the one performed by the optician who certified the VA sent with the medical questionnaire. I think opticians use charts at not more than 3 meters.
Has anybody been to pre-entry medical recently who can confirm if Visual Acuity is measured in addition to the colour Perception please?

Thank you

photface

Lantern Swinger
good morning,
I read in previous threads that Visual Acuity was not measured by the Medical Officer, but I noticed that JSP950 refers to a measure of Visual Acuity at pre-entry assessment using Snellen chart at 6 meters and that this test has more value than the one performed by the optician who certified the VA sent with the medical questionnaire. I think opticians use charts at not more than 3 meters.
Has anybody been to pre-entry medical recently who can confirm if Visual Acuity is measured in addition to the colour Perception please?

Thank you
The answer to your question is yes.

There is a sight test at the actual medical as well as at the opticians but I would still say a trained optometrist is going to give a more accurate idea of your sight than a GP as they have specifically trained to do that job.

The snellen sight chart in an opticians is indeed usually at 3m however the chart is half size or reflected through a mirror to accurately adjust for the change in distance.

I can't remember if I had the Ishihara test in the medical as well though or just the eye test...

Hope this helps,

-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks photface,
I agree with you in regards to the optician being able to do a better evaluation, strangely JSP950 at 3-E-1 says that "if there is discrepancy between VA measured at an optician and that recorded at the pre-service assessment the latter should take precedence".
It looks like they can invalidate the optician's assessment

photface

Lantern Swinger
Thanks photface,
I agree with you in regards to the optician being able to do a better evaluation, strangely JSP950 at 3-E-1 says that "if there is discrepancy between VA measured at an optician and that recorded at the pre-service assessment the latter should take precedence".
It looks like they can invalidate the optician's assessment
If you read carefully the statement you are referring to actually means if you've had glasses or have them you should give a prescription to the optometrist. If the optometrist then changes that prescription, the most recent one will stand as being valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The RN Visual Acuity standards are on the reverse of the optician report form issued by the AFCO after the recruit test. Different RN branches have parameters that may well differ to that listed in JSP 950. The RN standards are also listed in BR1750A.

The RN Visual Acuity standards are on the reverse of the optician report form issued by the AFCO after the recruit test. Different RN branches have parameters that may well differ to that listed in JSP 950. The RN standards are also listed in BR1750A.
Thanks Ninja,
I have the VA standards, I was just curious if an additional VA examination was performed at pre-entry medical or if the doctor would be satisfied with the values recorded in the optician report as it seems a bit of a duplication, also I guess the doctor could only evaluate if the glasses you take at the examination are giving you a pass, not necessary your VA

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Colour perception test only at the medical.

With my Colombo detective head on, this thread makes sense if someone has a dodgy optician's report and wants to know if it will be discovered at the medical :cool::cool::D

Colour perception test only at the medical.

With my Colombo detective head on, this thread makes sense if someone has a dodgy optician's report and wants to know if it will be discovered at the medical :cool::cool::D
I haven't got an optician report yet as I was abroad on business but when I went for my last routine eye test I asked if I would pass VA requirement by showing the pre-entry standards and he said yes but I am worried that in a worst environment where light conditions are not optimal such a medical room and by using glasses instead of the optician lenses I might get scored lower and I would like to remain within VA2 as I think you have limited career choices as VA3

Last edited:

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Typhoon,

When you pass your RT you are given a form to take to the optician, you then go and get your "official" eyesight test and report, and return it to the AFCO, along with the medical questionnaire which you have completed.

All being well, you then have your recruitment interview and then go through the medical process in the following weeks / months.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
finknottle Diamond Lil's 14
C Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Youanchor Submariners 6