Visiting IWM

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by SONAR-BENDER, Sep 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [FONT=&quot]Right chaps. We are coming back to the UK for a few days and I have time off for good behaviour, so I want to take myself off to the Imperial War Museum, something I have wanted to do for years. Question is, how long on average does one stay in there (bearing in mind that a lot is closed at the moment) and when done, what would the massive recommend me to see in the vicinity, in order to make the most of my ‘Away Day’?[/FONT]

2. I would say allocate yourself a couple of hours, including time for a nice sit down and a cup of tea and some cake in the cafe!

War Story and Horrible Histories look good:

Exhibitions | Imperial War Museums

It's not far from the IWM to HMS Belfast. Hop over Tower Bridge and drop in at the Tower and see whether you can spot any of the RN/RM Yeomen of the Guard. Get the bus down to the London Eye and go for a spin.

3. Do you just want Boys' Day Out Kind Of Stuff, by the way? I have other suggestions if you have a lady present.

4. I'm off to the IWM and cutty sark on the 5th Oct, I'll be the stressed one with a 1 year in a buggy!!!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Or you just jump on one of the boats that do regular runs up and down the Thames. I'm pretty certain they stop at Greenwich.

Edit to add: http://www.thamesclippers.com/routes-times-prices-booking/routes-times-prices-booking.html

And get an Oyster card for the time you're there and you can use it on the tube and clipper.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  6. The maritime museum is near to the cutty sark etc too. Can't help much with travel stuff i am afraid but hope you have a good time, being a bit of a history nerd i love places such as these as well :D

7. SB

If you have just one day I'd recommend the following:-

IWM as soleil says couple of hours certainly - bear in mind that most of the big stuff (tanks,V2,Polaris etc) is not on display,the Holocaust exhibition is open and is worth a visit for that alone. The café is good though pricey. The shop is very good,lots of prints DVD's and books and gizzits for children. Making your way back to the tube at Lambeth North you will see the London Eye - worth a visit but I strongly recommend that you pre purchase your ticket(s) to save time. I was there about six weeks ago , queue of several hundred, went to ticket collect terminal to get my tickets - in and out in two minutes to join queue for Eye. Less than an hour in total. Cross Westminster Bridge and follow signs for Cabinet War Rooms.Couple of hours there. The Gaurds Museum in Wellington Barracks,Birdcage Walk within walking distance of War Rooms worth a visit and only a few pounds - you may well meet a few old soldiers "on duty" too - had great chats with them. Cut across St James's Park up to top of The Mall and go diagonally across Green Park then you should come out in or around the Bomber Command Memorial. Very much worth a visit,(I've been twice). Its on Piccadilly where if you've booked a room at the The Ritz is very convenient for you. I've done this in a day - except the stay at The Ritz...Travelodge Liverpool St in reality. As to travel then Travelcard or Oyster as described earlier - whichever suits. Have fun!!

Pvivax

• Like Like x 1
  8. I could easily waste most of a day in the IWM.

9. Once you've seen the Cutty Sark you could walk under the Thames back to the other side, Island Gardens, and take the DLR to Tower Hill (Tower Gateway) opposite HMS Belfast and walk through St Katherines Dock with quite a lot of old vessels. Some nice hostelries there too. :blob4:

10. Thank you all so much for your interesting and informative ideas! It is just me, so I can do what I want! For the girlies info, SWMBO is spa daying with friends, hence my day off.

I shall get my map of London out and make a plan - IWM and Cutty Sark appeal at the moment.

11. SB

CJG was spot on with his advice about getting the Thames Clipper - it's brilliant fun heading down the river at a rate of knots, you will love it.

A new timetable has just come into force:

http://www.thamesclippers.com/images/pdf/ThamesClippers_timetable.pdf

By the way, it is cheaper to travel with an Oyster Card and you can order them in advance:

Visitor Oyster Card | Oyster card

If you do go to Greenwich, don't forget to drop in at the Royal Naval College to see the Painted Hall:

Painted Hall | Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich

Travel back into town on the DLR for a view of Canary Wharf, The O2 and the Docklands.

En route, look our for the White Ensign flying above St Anne's at Limehouse:

St Annes Limehouse - History

At Bank, get off and trot down Cheapside to St Paul's to see Nelson's tomb:

Discover the Crypt - St Paul's Cathedral, London, UK

12. Done that bit! Had to go to a friend's memorial service in St Paul's earlier this year and was amazed to see how many RN tombs there were in there.

As to the rest, thank you very much! Now this may be silly, but is the Oyster card the same as the day traveller card someone else mentioned?

13. If you find you still have a bit of time head to the London Museum if the Docklands - wesy india quay. It is really good and does not get very bust as it is quite unknown.

Last time I went to IWM I spent a good 4 hours there - and that was sadly far too rushed.

Enjoy it!

14. [FONT=&quot]Well, I’m back! Thanks for all your suggestions for my day out. I got an Oystercard – what a brilliant bit of kit – which made things easier and saved me cash. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]First stop as initially proposed was the IWM and I have to say that I was bitterly disappointed. Due to the refurb ready for he WW1 centenary, there was next to nothing going on. The main hall was a construction site – even the art gallery was closed. The SOE exhibition was very interesting, but that was it. The Holocaust exhibition WAS good, but as I’ve been to both Belsen and Dachau there was little to hold me there. So quite swiftly I was on my way to the Cutty Sark. Now that was fantastic, very enjoyable and informative. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]After scoffing my cider and sarnis, it was time for the Old Naval College. I had no idea it was literally a stone’s throw from Cutty Sark. As I walked through the gates I thought how I could have been re-visiting if only I’d passed the exam!! Painted Hall and chapel were fantastic. I’d noticed the National Maritime Museum as I came into Greenwich, so as I still had lots of spare time, orf I jolly well went.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now, when you think of our rich maritime heritage, you’d think this museum would be full to bursting with good stuff. Wrong! Top floor was shut as they were getting it ready for the Nelson exhibits. The two main halls about the Atlantic and the East Indies sounded full of promise, but in my very humble opinion failed to deliver. The Atlantic concentrated solely on the slave trade, the East Indies on spice. Such wasted opportunities. Indeed, one whole level was devoted to a HUGE possibly 30m x 30m vinyl map stuck on the floor, so that little Tarquin and Lillybet could ‘sail’ little bits of plastic around it! Oh wait, there was a slowly rotating screw from a Type 23 in mid air........ [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Such a wasted opportunity again – I’m just pleased I didn’t have to pay to get in.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I could be a tad biased here, but the Submarine Museum in Gosport is what a defined interest museum should be. The number of exhibits both very large and very small that are on display in there are amazing. By contrast, the USN one in Groton is about 4 times as large with next to no exhibits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Anyway, cultural report over! Thank you to those of you who contributed to my itinerary![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]