Visiting a warship

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by charlotte, Feb 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice?

Someone suggested to me that I should contact my Liaison Officer about visiting a ship before my interview and as I am in Portsmouth at the weekend I thought that it would be the perfect time to try and do so.

Unfortunately the only thing that he suggested was to go on the dockyard tour. I don't suppose anyone knows if there is anyway I can actually get to visit and have a look inside a ship?

Thanks!

Charlotte x

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Charlotte,

Just give your ACLO a ring- if there are any ships available for visiting, it's easily arranged.

Good luck.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good tip, Charlotte: If a sweaty Stoker nominated from the Duty Watch to show you around the Ship suddenly invites you down to the Tiller Flat for a "Special VIP Tour" to show you the "Golden Rivet" I would suggest you don't go with him. But if you do, make sure you don't bend over... :oops: :twisted:

4. However, if a mustachioed Royal Marine asks you if you'ld like to "Play his BV Piccolo down on the tiller flat?" do take advantage of this wind instrment training, it will prove to be endlessly diverting in your wardrooms of the future.

5. sgtpepperband

How the feck would a Royal know where the Tiller Flat is? Surely you'd show her the cockpit on the LCVP..? :wink:

6. I see the brains of the site are in full cry!

7. I do beg your pardon, I was forgetting that RumRation is the font of all information for young thrusters and fecitious messages such as mine and Sgt Pepperband are of course verboten.
    Either that or you should do one forthwith, you humourless individual. Try and guess which applies.

PS I'd wait a few days before asking for career advice if I were you. :twisted:

8. Struck a nerve did I?
    Actually I think that SGT PEPPER is hilarious! You would have to be really funny to take HIM on!

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Charlotte, get yourself down to HMS Victory, that's a proper warship and well worth a visit.

Sapientia, just noticed your location. Jafa or mainlander?

10. Not really, I couldn't give a rats rectum for your opinion of me.
    If, as has been stressed numerous times before, newbies, (Ossifers or ORs) require assistance they should seek guidance in the proper place ie an AFCO.
    Sometimes they will get lucky on here and get a response from Ninja Stoker or SuperMario our resident AFCO members, at other times they must expect some ribbing for their lack of fortitude ("The AFCOs closed and I can't wait 8 hours without knowing how to fill in my forms.") or lack of common sense as in this case.
    Well done though for encouraging numptieness, these boneheads are almost as amusing as Sgt P.

11. Hello Charlotte,

When visiting a warship, always wear a short skirt and to keep the marines happy, always go commando.

You are always guaranteed a happy time when dressed appropriately.

12. You seem to be confused, I was not aware that I had given an opinion of you at all. Why would I as I would'nt even recognise you from a rats rectum?

13. Hi Ninja,

I had already given my ACLO a call, but he suggested the dockyard tour!

Thanks anyway! :)

Charlotte

14. sgtpepperband

Right, enough! You've got half an hour to stop that... :wink: 8)

15. Really? I think he's a cnut, and about as funny as Jack McHammock lashing.

16. Sure you will be able to Visit Hms Illustrious, at Greenwich 7/8/9th May if convenient for you?? Ps Leave the pony in the Stable :roll: :roll: Though!!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Assuming you live in Portsmouth or Plymouth, then that is indeed an option, but at your expense.

If you don't, then your ACLO should be able to advise of the nearest ship visiting your locality within reasonable travelling distance that is open to the public or has organised visits available.

18. sgtpepperband

Feck off, you black bastard! :lol: :wink:

20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

But are not all north islanders jafas?... :twisted: