Villiers-Russell twins WW1

Discussion in 'History' started by JamesH, Jan 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of a long shot, on the memorial to the Villiers-Russell twins from Crewe who died while serving together it states that "Naval Law" was changed because of their deaths.

Does anyone know the actual regulation? Is it still in force, and could I have the text of the regulation as well?

Sent from my HTC One using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  2. Crewe_Municbld_Russell_Twins_RN.jpg

3. Cheers, soleil, I've got the picture, just wondering about the change in naval law that is mentioned.

4. Have you tried the government on line arcives sites.

I think you need to login and it may cost to search (according to some sites) but it may be the best lead to start.
  5. And this is the sort of thing that makes us and the Army different, thanks Sol and James :)

History and Traditions

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. wal

wal Badgeman

The Fawcett brothers 'Iffit' brothers as they were know served on the Rothesay mid 70's. One was a greenie t'other were a stoker.
  7. I had a boat where father and son were serving together, I think the "no brothers/sisters/mum/dad rule only applies in time of war.
  8. One of the diesel boats in the 1980s had a father a son on board,father was coxswain,son baby RO IIRC

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  9. WreckerL

I think that you are close to the truth on this.

I imagine that an Admiralty Directive was issued which said that siblings should not serve together, but that the Directive was only valid for a limited period and probably only until a point in 1918.
  10. Cheers guys, it makes sense. I can't find any mention in current usage. Does anyone have access to current regulations (opsec) hopefully won't be breached?

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The Pilot Boat Pub, where the bodies were taken is still running in Lyme today. Interesting story re the one body that was revived with the assistance of the Pub dog for those that haven't read it.

Reviewed: The Pilot Boat, Lyme Regis | Real West Dorset

Ignore the bit about Palmers Ales, I can't stand the stuff.
  12. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

At one point, in the early 50's, my brother made an application to the Admiralty to 'claim' me to serve together. Before it could happen he bought himself out !! Maybe he realised what he was letting himself in for. :D