Video: "How the Carriers will be built - section by section"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice vid soleil, does anyone know if they have a predicted Date/ Year that they will be in service ?
    I like when i drive by the BAE shipyard in glasgow and see how the next type 45's taking shape.

2. Re: Video: "How the Carriers will be built - section by sect

2014 HMS Queen Elizabeth

2016 HMS Prince of Wales

3. Not THAT far away then :)

4. Re: Video: "How the Carriers will be built - section by sect

That was interesting to watch

5. That'll be the LAST Type 45. Remember when we were promised that it would be 12, then 9.........?
    Still, they brightened up the Govan skyline for a while!

6. Well that almost exlains why the sponson sections are among the first blocks that arrived in Rosyth. It also shows why they're flattening any buildings that aren't used and turning them into hardstanding. Wouldn't fancy shifting that block out into the basin to let the Govan block in though. Would have thought they might be better able to schedule than that. Still - at least there's a plan and it looks relatively sensible, although the blocks that arrive will be short on outfit. Outfit and commissioning trades will be at a premium in Fife in 2012-2014 methinks.

7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Lets just hope that all of the yards are building to the same measurements and not some in imperial and others metric.

Had the same thought about the Bow (Govan) section, it would make a lot more sense to have that in the dock first surely?

8. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Are those clever chappies in Denmark who make those little coloured plastic bricks getting any royalties for this?

Hope the Appledore bits have had a jar of scrumpy poured over them for luck before they were sent off.

9. The steelwork from Appledore is top quality, scrumpy or not!

10. I know the problem there our engineer or2ered two lenghts of rope for our inline beltbunker with plow he ordered 2 X 300 yards of i and a quarter only to find from drive end to box end was ______ wait fot it
    300 METRES

11. Good video, but as has been said I worry that some may be measuring in Imerial and some in Metric. Will be xciting to see if that the case :) Seriously, it is good to see they have at least thought about assembly of these new carriers

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Beats the shit out of looking at the auld clyde port brick sun blocker.

13. Nice video soleil, cheers! Hopefully we'll be seeing those two bad boys in the future.

14. and fund, run and man 'em too

15. If I am still in the commissioning side of things i may be working on them in the future

16. AKA Doing a NASA :eek:

Looks like amazing engineering, the example I always give is that the tallest building in the uk is about 250m tall, so imagine turning that on its side, making it float and move! (and it'd still beat it!). Really hope that I eventually get to work onboard one.

17. A Navy Days visit will do me.

18. We can only hope, eh?

19. Re: Video: "How the Carriers will be built - section by sect

Nice piece of PR video there. Just hope they both make it into service.

On time and on budget would be nice, too.