Victory! You will be able to wear your PJM

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Oct 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Thus ends a gratuitous insult not only to those veterans involved but to the King & Government of Malaysia.

2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I will wear it, when I get it. I've only been waiting 2 years for it.!

3. Was your application acknowledged?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hurrah! at last.

Here starts the opening of the floodgates of those wearing multiple medals (besides awards for valour) for a single campaign.

Kuwait Liberation Medal to follow, I'd guess.

Rock-On, here's me next month...

medals_1537182c.jpg

5. Ninja_Stoker

PS. Have Argentina issued a "Well done, you won" medal yet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

To be fair, the jubilee medals are a difficult one to reconcile.

Not sure whether the Prince Bill 'n' Kate Wedding Medal should go inbetween the Gold & Diamond JumbleSale gongs.

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

By whom ? Not to my knowledge. I applied through the HMS Cavalier Association. I asked the Hon Sec a while back and he said it had been forwarded. Not heard anything since.

9. I applied for this medal on behalf of my step dad some 3 years ago. Turned out the guy who was the point of contact for the PJM and my step dad were in the same unit, same time. When the guy phoned to check verification, they spent an hour spinning pongo dits.

Still no sign of it though...

10. I sent my application direct to the Malaysian High Commission 2 years ago, on the application form it stated if you require confirmation of the application being received enclose a sae which I did, to date nothing, hey ho.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I applied a while ago and got told that I didn't qualify by seven days. Quick answer though. I fax'd it in don't know if that made a diffence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, I'm not going to begrudge any veteran the pleasure of wearing a random additional medal, in fact when it gets to the 50th anniversary of the Falklands, I fully intend doubling my medal cache also, without Royal consent, if I live that long.

In fact, I don't even begrudge the back-aftie, four knot fudge-packing bomber queens their UFO thingy worn above the kissing kippers to signify the reason they haven't got any medals was because they earn more money than anyone else and had they been asked, they would have joined any conflict with enthusiasm rather than unnecessary accuracy.

On the 50th Falklands anniversary, not only am I not going to ask Queen Kate's permission to wear a Jack Sparrow leather tricorn, circumnavigated with beret-badges, but I fully intend driving my medal-laden motorised wheelchair across the gleaming toecaps of the front rank of the Guards band as they play Nimrod, whilst swearing incoherently.

As a civilian, who's arsed about permission?

• Like Like x 2
  13. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Didn't serving soldiers get a clasp for the GSM at the time?

14. Ninja_Stoker

A GSM & clasp, or a clasp if the GSM was already issued.

The PJM is an additional medal for the same campaign.

15. Veterans to wear Malaysia Medal officially for first time

British veterans awarded the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) Medal have been given permission by Her Majesty The Queen to wear it for the first time during remembrance events on Sunday.

Full story on MOD website.

This was posted by the Ministry of Defence.

16. Damn right too !

17. The PJM was an additional medal for four British campaign medal clasps, namely GSM/ NGSM " Malaya Emergency 1948/57/60 " GSM/ NGSM "Brunei Insurrection 1962 " GSM 1962 "Borneo Confrontation 1962/66" & finally GSM 1962 "Malaysia Pensinsula 1964/66"