Victorian to WW2 era masts & yard, Conning tower & searchlight queries.


Lantern Swinger
I'd like to pick the knowledge of the forum if I may. Its been very helpful to me in the past.

1> The big yard across the foremast on a warship has a jackstay running along the top. The attached image shows a lower yard from the 1850s which is basically the same design as appeared on later ships.

Whats the purpose of the jackstay on a sail-less vessel? I caught a hint in one photo that they hung signal halyards off of it? Is that true?

The yard was clamped to the mast by a metal bracket, like in the image, but the weight was carried by what? The topping lift? and maybe a chain if fitted? (a version of the 1890 graphic at the bottom is something that I see often)

2> A battleship armoured Conning tower: has anyone ever seen the door to these things? What's the door handle like? If a CT has walls of 6-12 inches, the door must also be of armour thickness. I picture a door handle like a safe but I'm not sure this is right. Yet an ordinary door handle doesn't seem right either.

3> The WW1 era RN twin 24" searchlight mount, this is the battlecruiser Tiger. There was at least 3 designs of the twin mount in use, all by different manufacturers. Has anyone got a clear image of this one? I can't fix how the lamps were attached to the pedastel nor how many axis they turned?


p.s its for a model I'm taking pains to get right


Under the correction of members who know about rigging...perhaps the jackstay on yards fitted to non-sail bearing ships would have helped to stop the yard from drooping? Not very convincing, but the best I can think of!
Wild guess.

To give jolly 'Jack" tar, something to hang onto when traversing the yardarm. Even a safety line in modern warships would require some sort of rigging line for the safety of personnel!!

Guess over.

Waits to be marked out of ten!!!!!!!:thumbdown:
From online dictionary


   /ˈdʒækˌsteɪ/ Show Spelled[jak-stey] Show IPA
noun Nautical . 1. a rod or batten, following a yard, gaff, or boom, to which one edge of a sail is bent.

2. a rail for guiding the movement of the hanks of a sail.

3. a transverse stay for stiffening a mast having a gaff sail, coming downward and outward from the head of the mast, passing over a spreader at the level of the gaff, then inclining inward to the mast again near the foot.

4. jack rod.

5. also for clipping on safety lines

Google is your friend

Similar threads