Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Oct 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Vice Admiral Lord Horatio. Killed in action Cape Trafalgar this day 1805. Nelson confides... CCC in today's Telegraph

2. I wasn't around in 1805 to confirm or deny but History records his death as being the 21st !

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Them as is keen gets fell in previous, clearly.

• Like Like x 3
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Go on then, spill the beans, who's this Nelson fella?

5. I'll bite. That once-famous Irish sailor-man: Horati O'Nelson.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I shall be drinking to the eternal memory at Drake SR's Pickle Night this evening.

7. I and a few more sfall be raising a couple of tots to the emortal memory at 1200 tomorrow

8. I shall, very proudly, be one of those Les.

"To the Immortal Memory"

2BM

9. We have done it for many years,used to have a pickle night until numbers started to fall .We had a big one last year as the 21st fell on our reunion at Scarborough

10. Lets be perfectly honest about this mate, you would raise a glass to the memory of last years Christmas tree.
    And I would join you.
    As for Pickle night, I often wonder at the coincidence of the ships name opposed to the state of poor old Nelly when they dragged him out of the barrel upon return. Did they put any walnuts in with him?
    Anyway great bloke and well deserving to be named after a square in London.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ummmmmm, but isn't it Traf Night in the Bunrun for the orifices on October 21st and Pickle Night for the workers on or about November 4th? As that's when Pickle arrived at Falmouth.

Just sayin' like innit.

12. Will be raising a glass at midday today shippers. England expects.........

13. OK. I had me tot of the blessed Woods 100% and raised a toast to the Immortal memory, then I decided that since I'm in charge I'd grant meself splicers, then, having got the taste, I poured another glass, so now I'm ready to take on anybody, including multi coloured pikeys from the depths of the West Midlands who pick 'emselves a name and then keep referring to me as something of a rum fancier.

'ang on, just gonna top me glass up - - - - - - - - - - -

• Like Like x 1
  14. Had an uncle called Horatio Nelson ......., at the outbreak of WW2 he went to join the bootnecks, story goes that when he told the recruiting bods his name, they said, "this war shouldnt last long with you on our side", evidently the name was popular for many years after his death.

15. You won't shout at me if I pedantically state that it is in fact the East Midlands.
    Actually I think you might........I'm outa here.:kiss:

16. "Fair winds and following seas..."

17. Sorry Old Chap, the geography of the midlands was never my strong suit!

Pete.

18. Sat nav was invented solely with me in mind.

19. Gentlemen, as a retired member of the Senior Service, prior to my commission I was a CPO for 8 years and I had never even heard of Pickle Nights until after I had been promoted to the wardroom. I understand that the tradition was born in 1974 in HMS NELSON Barracks. I am doing a little research into the programme for a Pickle Night Dinner on behalf of another shipmate and I was wondering if any of you could advise please.
    Many thanks.

20. There's a thread on here devoted to pickle night. Search for it.
    I would post a linky, but I'm on my mobile and unable to