Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vice Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson

scouse

War Hero
Vice Admiral Lord Horatio. Killed in action Cape Trafalgar this day 1805. Nelson confides... CCC in today's Telegraph

lesbryan

War Hero
We have done it for many years,used to have a pickle night until numbers started to fall .We had a big one last year as the 21st fell on our reunion at Scarborough

Rumrat

War Hero
I shall, very proudly, be one of those Les.

"To the Immortal Memory"

2BM

Lets be perfectly honest about this mate, you would raise a glass to the memory of last years Christmas tree.
And I would join you.
As for Pickle night, I often wonder at the coincidence of the ships name opposed to the state of poor old Nelly when they dragged him out of the barrel upon return. Did they put any walnuts in with him?
Anyway great bloke and well deserving to be named after a square in London.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Ummmmmm, but isn't it Traf Night in the Bunrun for the orifices on October 21st and Pickle Night for the workers on or about November 4th? As that's when Pickle arrived at Falmouth.

Just sayin' like innit.

2badge_mango

War Hero
OK. I had me tot of the blessed Woods 100% and raised a toast to the Immortal memory, then I decided that since I'm in charge I'd grant meself splicers, then, having got the taste, I poured another glass, so now I'm ready to take on anybody, including multi coloured pikeys from the depths of the West Midlands who pick 'emselves a name and then keep referring to me as something of a rum fancier.

'ang on, just gonna top me glass up - - - - - - - - - - -

Sharkey

Banned
Had an uncle called Horatio Nelson ......., at the outbreak of WW2 he went to join the bootnecks, story goes that when he told the recruiting bods his name, they said, "this war shouldnt last long with you on our side", evidently the name was popular for many years after his death.

Rumrat

War Hero
OK. I had me tot of the blessed Woods 100% and raised a toast to the Immortal memory, then I decided that since I'm in charge I'd grant meself splicers, then, having got the taste, I poured another glass, so now I'm ready to take on anybody, including multi coloured pikeys from the depths of the West Midlands who pick 'emselves a name and then keep referring to me as something of a rum fancier.

'ang on, just gonna top me glass up - - - - - - - - - - -

You won't shout at me if I pedantically state that it is in fact the East Midlands.
Actually I think you might........I'm outa here.:kiss:

deeeeps

Gentlemen, as a retired member of the Senior Service, prior to my commission I was a CPO for 8 years and I had never even heard of Pickle Nights until after I had been promoted to the wardroom. I understand that the tradition was born in 1974 in HMS NELSON Barracks. I am doing a little research into the programme for a Pickle Night Dinner on behalf of another shipmate and I was wondering if any of you could advise please.
Many thanks.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Gentlemen, as a retired member of the Senior Service, prior to my commission I was a CPO for 8 years and I had never even heard of Pickle Nights until after I had been promoted to the wardroom. I understand that the tradition was born in 1974 in HMS NELSON Barracks. I am doing a little research into the programme for a Pickle Night Dinner on behalf of another shipmate and I was wondering if any of you could advise please.
Many thanks.
There's a thread on here devoted to pickle night. Search for it.
I would post a linky, but I'm on my mobile and unable to

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Alexander Dalrymple Award presented to Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar MoD News 0
soleil The Times: Vice-Admiral Sir James Weatherall The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS News story: US Navy Vice Admiral shows commitment to combined carrier strike MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Vice Admiral Sir Cecil Ponsonby Talbot, K.C.B., K.B.E., D.S.O. Submariners 1
soleil Telegraph: Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackham On The UK's Military Decline Current Affairs 6
jambosun Surgeon Vice Admiral Ian Jenkins Current Affairs 20
scouse Vice Admiral Sir Tony Troup Submariners 4
V Vice Admiral Alfred Charles Sykes CMG RN History 3
T Vice-Admiral Sir Arthur Hezlet DSO, DSC History 1
S Vice Admiral Sir Arthur Hezlet Submariners 2
H Vice-admiral Blount History 3
V Vice-Admiral Byng History 9
MoD_RSS Appointment of a new Judicial Commissioner and Vice Chairman of the Judicial Appointments Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster to the Vice President of the European Commission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vice Chief of the Defence Staff signs future force development charter to reaffirm UK/US defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Parole Board Vice Chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of new Vice Chair of the Parole Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM meeting with Vice President Mike Pence: 5 September 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM and Chancellor meeting with Chinese Vice Premier Hu: 17 June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Big wins for British businesses as Vice Premier Hu Chunhua visits MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Northern Ireland Housing Executive Chair and Vice Chair Appointment MoD News 0
Drakey Google Chrome vice IE Site Issues 4
W send vice girls to war with troops Current Affairs 16
soleil FB: Royal Naval Benevolent Trust - Go Ahead For RNBT’s Centenary Care Home Project, Admiral Jellicoe House. Charity 2
soleil Asian Image: "Royal Navy Admiral Visits Birmingham’s Central Mosque" The Fleet 2
K Admiral's barge HMS Queen Elizabeth circa 1918 History 6
MoD_RSS Press release: UK Hydrographic Office appoints Rear Admiral Tim Lowe CBE as Acting Chief Executive MoD News 0
soleil The Times: Rear-Admiral Wilfred Graham The Fleet 6
S Who upset Admiral Z? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 85
soleil Pompey News: "Admiral Backs Plan For Future Of Portsmouth’s Shipyard Operation" Bases / Shore Est 5
soleil Express: "Defence Cuts Imperil Our Proud Nation, Warns Top Admiral" Current Affairs 2
S Admiral takes the helm of Portsmouth-based charity Charity 0
soleil News Wales: "Admiral Sir Max Horton - Rhosneigr Honours Naval Hero" History 4
MoD_RSS News story: Admiral Zambellas new First Sea Lord MoD News 37
MoD_RSS News story: UK Admiral takes over NATO's new Maritime Command MoD News 0
C Rear Admiral David Macey RN Current Affairs 5
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Rear-Admiral Linley Middleton RIP The Fleet 4
scouse Admiral Stanhope quote The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Guardian: "We're Learning From Astute Submarine Flaws, Admiral Promises" Submariners 1
soleil Herald: "Admiral Says Thank You" The Fleet 12
scouse Admiral Lyn Middleton The Fleet Air Arm 1
P Rear Admiral Sefton Ronald Sandford CB RN(retd) Current Affairs 0
trelawney126 Admiral Stanhope wins the Cheapskate Tri service Competition Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Herald: "Admiral On First Visit To Raleigh" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil R4 Today Programme - Admiral Lord West On Burials At Sea The Fleet 1
soleil T'graph: "Admiral Lord West: 'The Big Lie Of The Defence Funding 'Black Hole'" Current Affairs 5
soleil Pompey News: "Royal Navy Needs Two More Destroyers Now Says Admiral" The Fleet 0
Chaz Admiral & a Chief Nautical Jokes 3
soleil Telegraph: Admiral Sir Raymond Lygo The Fleet Air Arm 1