Veteren's Badges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by OSLO, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very Interesting! was not aware anything had been planned, people in London appeared more intrested in the fact that Mr. B. Liar was retiring on that day (yesterday!)

also as a matter of intrest I've worn the nice shiny little badge the MOD gave me for services rendered back in the 60's early 70's for the last two weeks to see what kind of reaction it received - well I'm still waiting for one! Talk about total lack of interest! I thought it might be but .....
  2. "Veterans who served up to 31 December 1994 can now apply for the free Veteran's Badge."

Perhaps they should just give you one when you join up and have done with it!

3. Perhaps they should have a badge for anyone who actually applies to join up? :lol:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Or thought about it once...
  5. Wore mine on 27th (Veterans Day) work for the ministry with servicepeople and noone knew what it was or was interested. Have put it back in its box and doubt it will ever see the light of day again. Apathy rules.
  6. The MOD give out a vets badge on demob now. Most younger vets dont wear them because the word veteran and the badge makes them feel too old.

I have received both vets badges (RN & Merchant Navy) and wear them both with pride at all association meetings and parades I attend.
  7. I was at a dinner last night and the comment was made about the word Veteran sounding as though it was for older people.. It used to be ex-serviceman/woman, but now we seem to have adopted the American term of Veteran..

Over the last few months, I've seen more and more of the Veteran's badges being worn, especially by people in their 50's and above.. it looks good.
  8. I drive coaches now and again and last week saw a gent wearing his veterans badge. I asked him who he served with and it transpired we served in the same ship together (Ajax 65). So who knows who one might meet by simply wearing the badge instead of keeping it in a box. :threaten:
  9. Hope you trooped him for wearing it on the wrong lapel. :thumright:
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Quite right. I asked a guy the same question & it turned out that he'd committed an appalling crime against humanity, was discharged SNLR, but because he filled in the form correctly, got the badge.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Norm- do one, you knob.
  12. Wear mine on my ambulance service uniform and proud of it.
    (Just waiting for someone to tell me to take it off them there will be trouble)
  13. Just applied for mine !
  14. Down loaded the form from the web site and faxed it off. not sure if it went through so sent one off by email. week later received two badges! Bargin.
  15. I just made the phone call to one of the numbers on the form. A week later it arrived - woo hoo
  16. be getting the buggers in lucky bags soon, probably about all it's worth. Pity, the idea was there, as usual shame about the execution!