Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Veterans Valued?

D

Deleted 59428

For nearly 500 years the Royal Navy struggled on without a Veterans Minister. We have now been blessed with dozens of them with their expensive staffs and offices.
What have they achieved for us/we veterans?

1. A Veterans Badge. Worn on the lapel resembling a lesser Union Shop Steward. Numerous Veterans Ministers have been photographed pinning on--and will no doubt continuing glorifying in such occasions
2. A free phone line.
3. Still to come and even more exciting, a "V" on our driving licences to act as an Identity Card to show, clearly, we would have laid down our lives for our country.
Those without driving licences need not write in as a new card with a "V" on will be available.

If any of you have a War Pension card advising hospitals to provide priority treatment for its bearer's named disabilities, you will have prior experience of just how useless the new cards will be.
More money down the drain.

Was the now well established Veterans Agency not a result of having a Veteran's minister? They were very helpful to me when it came to sorting out my pension.

How do you imagine pensions were dealt with before 2006?
Ratings pensions began in c.1653 and for all officers in 1836.
They seem to have muddled by. My own father from WW1and WW2 service received exemplary treatment.

‘Veterans’ Minister’ is a little misleading. Responsibility for veterans is one brief on a much larger portfolio for which he or she already has staff. A bit like being Mess President.

Perhaps rather than asking, what use is a Veterans’ Minister, ask if the Minister or his predecessors have done any harm.

‘Veterans’ Minister’ is a little misleading. Responsibility for veterans is one brief on a much larger portfolio for which he or she already has staff. A bit like being Mess President.

Perhaps rather than asking, what use is a Veterans’ Minister, ask if the Minister or his predecessors have done any harm.

Doing good requires a "problem" needing a remedy. Doing no harm has no such trigger.

Doing good is to make the proponent feel good, regardless of results. Doing no harm looks toward … well, dog-gone it, no harm!

I am just back from a family holiday to Florida. I was really impressed that all the outlets gave discount to serving AF personnel and veterans. This ranged from 10-20% off the ticketed prices.

As a vet without an ID card (and yet to join the Defence Discount Service) I had to make do with explaining that we do not get to keep our ID cards on leaving or receive a veterans card (now sort of recitified thanks to a corner being cut off the ID card). All accepted that I had served and discount applied.

So anyone going to Florida, I would encourage you to ask for AF or veterans discount.

As far as a veterans ID card, a starting point could be through the pension agency. They will have an up to date list of ex forces personnel so potentially could issue some form of ID?

I am just back from a family holiday to Florida. I was really impressed that all the outlets gave discount to serving AF personnel and veterans. This ranged from 10-20% off the ticketed prices.

As a vet without an ID card (and yet to join the Defence Discount Service) I had to make do with explaining that we do not get to keep our ID cards on leaving or receive a veterans card (now sort of recitified thanks to a corner being cut off the ID card). All accepted that I had served and discount applied.

So anyone going to Florida, I would encourage you to ask for AF or veterans discount.

As far as a veterans ID card, a starting point could be through the pension agency. They will have an up to date list of ex forces personnel so potentially could issue some form of ID?
I purchased the defence services card, thought it might be e rip-off but gave it a go. I have easily had my £5 back, some shops do some dont, some places don't have clue so give discount anyway. Used a few times to take the family to longleat.
The thing is not everyone liked to ask for discounts, they don't like being told no.

Latest Threads