Veterans ID card

Veterans: Identity Cards

Mr. Donaldson: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans he has to introduce a veterans' identity card; what benefits this card will provide; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Kevan Jones: Following the recommendation for a Veterans ID Card in the National Recognition Study undertaken by my hon. Friend, the Member for Grantham and Stamford the (Mr. Davies), the associated issues, options and approximate costs have been determined. These are being considered by Ministers and it is intended to make a statement after further consultation.

HC Deb 8 December 2008 c30W

PS: Mods: If there is already a thread on this please could you incorporate it.

ALL ex vets here get a card. Its of great value where a "Military Discount" is given. Here in the US, they value the service given by vets to this country. As I am sure you all know, when we leave, its a case of goodbye and dont let the gate hit your ass on the way out...................

But US Vets, get a card and use it for a whole host of things. Onvious is the "Commisary".....non in the UK. Mickey Duck and other Florida attractions.........even Movies. Ever tried asking for a discount at your local your local cinema?

Fortunetly, my writer "forgot" to ask me for mine, as he knew we were coming to the US. Pix a bit old now, 11 yrs, but I still use it.

YouAreHavingALaugh

Lantern Swinger
cornishgolfer said:
ALL ex vets here get a card. Its of great value where a "Military Discount" is given. Here in the US, they value the service given by vets to this country. As I am sure you all know, when we leave, its a case of goodbye and dont let the gate hit your ass on the way out...................

But US Vets, get a card and use it for a whole host of things. Onvious is the "Commisary".....non in the UK. Mickey Duck and other Florida attractions.........even Movies. Ever tried asking for a discount at your local your local cinema?
Fortunetly, my writer "forgot" to ask me for mine, as he knew we were coming to the US. Pix a bit old now, 11 yrs, but I still use it.

The Vue at Gunwharf Quay does offer discounted rates for servicemen and women.

ChickFunk

Midshipman
YouAreHavingALaugh said:
cornishgolfer said:

Interestingly, They offer a greater discount to students then service persons.....

Guzzler

War Hero
ChickFunk said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:
cornishgolfer said:

Interestingly, They offer a greater discount to students then service persons.....

What's the problem with that?

Ballistic

War Hero
Guzzler said:
ChickFunk said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:
cornishgolfer said:

What's the problem with that?

Paul Calf mode ON

'cos they're fcukin' students!

Paul Calf mode OFF

To be honest unless you end up getting some real benefits from having it it will probably do less for me than the stack of membership cards I already have. In the US it is different, a combination of access to the PX system and the wide range of every day places that give discounts against military ID makes having such a card a real money saver for many. In the UK I think my bus pass probably is worth more than any Vets Card from Gordon and his cronies.

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
To be honest unless you end up getting some real benefits from having it it will probably do less for me than the stack of membership cards I already have. In the US it is different, a combination of access to the PX system and the wide range of every day places that give discounts against military ID makes having such a card a real money saver for many. In the UK I think my bus pass probably is worth more than any Vets Card from Gordon and his cronies.

Perhaps it's a good thing that we do not have the American system Maxi. Though I enjoyed shopping in the Px stores somehow the prospect of being able to use an overpriced NAAFI store holds little joy for me. :money: