Very worried for hms Raleigh

I’m due to leave for Raleigh in about 3 week and I’m already full of nerves. The physical side of it all I’m confident about as I came first in my class at the mile and half in the prnc and most of the other things I’m confindent about but when it comes to kit I’m absolutely shocking. I struggled with my bed and folding a lot even though I’ve been trying to learn how to fold in a4 with my brothers old MTP shirts (he’s in the army) and I can not for the life of me to hospital corners. I’ve been reading a lot of posts about the week 4 and 7 kit musters and they’re stressing me out because I can’t afford to get sent home but I bet the people who got sent home said the exact same thing. If I do good in every other aspect but fail in kit a lot of times will I get kicked out? I just need a bit of reassuring. I’m getting the hang of ironing but folding and hospital corners are the burden of my life but I’m determined to pass out and to get through Raleigh but I can’t help thinking I’ll fail no matter what I get told by my parents/mates.
Also, can anyone roughly tell me the drop out/fail rate of each class at hms Raleigh?
Thanks

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Everyone, if they admit it, has concerns when they join.

If you are top line on the phys and have been practicing ironing, making your bed & washing clothes then you have far, far less to.worry about than those in your class who try to wing it on phys and personal.admin and then come unstuck. Some individuals are foolish enough to sit back and let Mum continue to do their washing and ironing - they are the one's who should be rather worried.

My guess is you'll probably end-up helping-out the donuts who ill-advisedly don't take the time to prepare and probably haven't even considered the fact there are kitmusters and that they can fail them.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Once you’re there and are doing it every day, you will find you fly through it and will look back woundering why you were worried.

It’s the fear of the unknown

I’m 36 and going to Raleigh this year, for 16 years my Mrs has refused point blank to iron my clothes so I should hopefully fly through the kit musters (hopefully!!)

Reg, I'd just like to wish you well at that astounding age and with a family etc. At 36 I was hanging on for my pension in 4 years!
Thanks, my Mrs always said I leave everything to the last minute so she wasn’t surprised when I told her last year I really wanted to do this haha, everything going ok during training then this will hopefully be me till I retire

I’m in a well paid job just now but always fancied the armed forces and tbh this whole application process from last February has done me the world of good, nearly three stone lighter and the fittest I’ve been since I stopped boxing at 22, i was originally going for RNR but after some chats in the AFCO I decided to go for it, why not, you only live once

Thanks, my Mrs always said I leave everything to the last minute so she wasn’t surprised when I told her last year I really wanted to do this haha, everything going ok during training then this will hopefully be me till I retire

I’m in a well paid job just now but always fancied the armed forces and tbh this whole application process from last February has done me the world of good, nearly three stone lighter and the fittest I’ve been since I stopped boxing at 22, i was originally going for RNR but after some chats in the AFCO I decided to go for it, why not, you only live once
Life with regrets must be a pain, if it's in your mind or your blood go for it, you may like it.
Good luck.

Fear not @Joooooeeee9999 . I was one of the donuts who had never washed or ironed up to the point I joined. A nice Petty Officer got us all together and went through what was expected and how to do it. I was rubbish at first but within a couple of weeks I could get a reasonable result and kit musters were passed. Hospital corners are a doddle so you'll wonder why you ever got stressed in the first place.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Dude. Keep your eyes and ears open, say very little unless you have to or it's by orders. Get plenty of sleep, try to stay interested, show initiative, don't be gobby or overconfident. People are there to guide you, not do the shit for you. The whole point in basic and phase two is to filter out the non-hackers, the dreamers, the wannabes and those who do not pack the tackle. They will be very evident by week four, and use them as flotsam to keep your head above water. Remember, just because you call people 'sir', 'ma'am', 'Chief', 'PO' or 'Leading Hand' it's because they wear the badges to do so, not because you like them.

Lastly, it's a job with benefits. Being a civvy is shitola. 37 days leave a year, free phys and medical and the ability to travel the planet and **** women (or men, whatever is your flavour) and get shedded courtesy of the taxpayer. Get through this lot and you deserve that privilege.

levers