Very sad ...........

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by brazenhussy, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i can honestly say these are quite possibly the saddest two articles I have ever read/seen in my life ;
    She must have been in there a while from the look of her hands.
    Omayra Sanchez (the girl pictured) was 12 years old at the time and lived with her parents, her brother and an uncle. However, prior to the tragedy, her mother had traveled to Bogotá on business. Omayra could not escape and was trapped under her own home's concrete plaque and debris.
    When rescue teams tried to help her, they realized that her legs were trapped. The only feasible option was to pull her out by breaking and ripping her legs off. Omayra remained strong until the last moment of her life. According to people who were by her side during those moments, the little girl wanted to live, saying her only worry was to go back to school.
    The people who were trying to save her life begged the pilots of overflying helicopters to get a pump so the water could have been drained out. After two days a pump was delivered, but unfortunately it did not work properly and finally got stuck because of the mud and debris.

2. B'Hussey, what a crap world we live in my friend.
  3. Makes ones own problems seem so pathetic.
  4. what profound pictures, puts my troubles in to perceptive
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

always wanted a vulture.....
  6. How could any feeling human being photograph something like that, and then drive away?
    Fcukin right he should commit sidaways, he was absolute cnut!
  7. Agreed, I couldn't have left that poor child there, disease or not. :(
  8. I don't believe that picture, because as RoofRat says, no way you could walk away and leave the kid there, unless you are mentaly deficient.
  9. Remember we're talking about journos here who are morally deficient! :evil:
  10. That's the most complimentary thing you can say about them..
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

As tragic as this story is and as scummy as photo journalists can be, this story is 22 years old.
    Hardly current.

The article on photojournalists ethics or lack of is 17 months old though it can be argued that it is eternal and therfore 'current' but looking at some of the responses, it is better off in the Quarterdeck.
  12. Sorry but you are so wrong!!!!!!

I would say the photographer would be hanging about to wait for the vulture to start picking to get that classic pic that will pay thousands.

Scum of the earth!!!!
  13. i totaly agree with you..... they would wait til the last dying breath..
    we have seen this type of [email protected] before...... rember the young naked girl runing down the road..... what type of person can walk away..???
  14. So sad ,
  15. The one with the vulture is a real phot, I saw it some years ago in the Sunday Times or summat.

And yes the photographer did walk away.

Question is, if the child was infected with summat would you risk picking up the infection and becoming a casualty yourself? :???:
  16. wet_blobby

17. yes i would to save a child i would ....
  18. Yes, seriously.

If the photographer has had the fear of God put into them by being told the refugees might have Ebola or summat mental like that then would you seriously expect anyone to approach them without wearing a full-on noddy suit?

And if the child did have some life threatening disease in some shit hole refugee camp in Africa then you're not going to save them, they are already the walking dead. This is what we call triage.

That photograph is probably the most powerful image taken in recent times and raises very interesting questions concerning morality.

What would I do? Dunno, 'cos I don't know the full story behind the image. If the photographer had been told 'Don't go near dying refugees 'cos they have very bad lurgy and you'll catch it and die' then that's one story. If he had been told 'Don't go near refugees 'cos they've got athlete's foot' then that's another.
  19. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Photojournalists are taught to maintain a kind of hypocratic oath, similar to that of a doctor, in maintaining impartiality - they are not to become involved with the story, save anyone accuse them of influencing the story they are reporting on. They are the reflector, not the director. Remember the stories of journos strategically placing teddy bears in the rubble and wreckage after Lockerbie and the Clapham rail crash?

What of the photographs of Iraqis being tortured; should the person taking the photos also have intervened? Aren't they responsible for what happened, by recording the incidents rather than stopping them?

Bringing these images to the public domain is to raise awareness of the bigger picture. The images of the burning Vietnamese girl; the Auschwitz survivors being liberated; and the vulture watching the Sudanese baby; all horrific events, but the images brought awareness to what caused these atrocities. The loss of her life may have saved the lives of millions through famine relief brought on by Carter's photo and subsequent report.

Kevin Carter's story is a unique but sad one nonetheless, and I bet most people here would have a similar moral dilemma if in a similar situation. All those who are medically trained will know that you must look after yourself first, regardless of the consequences, as you might become injured too. A simplistic POV I agree, but he maintained the ethos of photojournalism - and he paid the ultimate price for his actions, despite the plaudits he received as a result.
  20. wet_blobby

"paid the ultimate price for his actions"

Having a blonde moment here, did his catch something and die or was he outcast for not helping the child?