Verdict in Lee Rigby trial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dapperdunn, Dec 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I bet most of that was spent deciding whether running at rozzers with knives and a rusty gun in hand was attempted murder. The decision on Drummer Rigby couldn't have taken much time at all.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  2. Without taking anything away from the enomity and awfulness of the article, have Sky got something wrong here? There are two separate pictures of two different women who are described as being, the first one, Lee Rigby's widow, and the second, shown with his sister is described as being his fiancee. Shumm mishtake shurely as Private Eye used to say.
  3. No, he was married but was no longer living with his wife, if I remember correctly and had a girlfriend to whom he was engaged.
  4. I seem to recall from the coverage at the time that he was separated from his wife and seeing a pongo lass who was his fiancé. Think she got flown back from somewhere when it happened. The (ex)wife is the mother of his son I think.

5. I had started to wonder if it might be that the two women were engaged to each other but that makes more sense. Cheers.
  6. As the result of the trial for Lee Rigby was in no doubt seeing as the accused had admitted on several occasions that they intended to kill him I am a little surprised that the presiding Judge has given himself until next year to come up with a sentence.
    Is he really going to have to consider sob stories of broken childhoods and how the big boys made them do it before sending them down for a very long time if not for ever.
    Sometimes the Police have faced accusations of being trigger happy when taking out suspected terrorists but I think I'm not alone in thinking on this occasion a more deadly response to being attacked would have been welcomed. After all it was what the convicted men really wanted.
  7. I'm sure lots would go along with, " a more deadly response would be welcomed" but to me, locking them up for the rest of their natural is a better option, kill em and their troubles are over, tell em you'll never be released and their troubles are just begining
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Maybe someone (SPB?) can tell me why the two murderers, who were caught on dozens of cameras and when interviewed by the public and Tv, then the police bragging about killing/murdering were then subjected to a fairly long trial that must have cost a shed-load of cash.

Why not run in, left turn, guilty, quck march. Oh and mind your fingers?

Very serious question.
  9. Do you want to take them down to the mosque, march them in front of their peers and rip their caps off as well?

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nothing can make the accused plead guilty, it matters not what the evidence or confessions say. His defence brief can advise that it may be in his best interest to go guilty, but if the accused still insists on a not guilty plea thats how it stands before the court.

I've been involved where to accused has been asked in court to plead either guilty or not guilty and because they said Um or suchlike before saying guilty the Magistrates have directed that a not guilty plea be entered so that the evidence can be fully explored
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Cos despite what they said they pleaded not guilty so they go to trial.

12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yep. That pongo lass is my mate. She was in Afghanistan serving with the RMP at the time. One of the last conversations I had with Riggers was about him divorcing his wife and changing his will. He was friendly with his wife because of his kid, they were never getting back together.

13. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Media coverage for "the cause". No other reason.

14. right verdict shame the young lads family had to be dragged through the trial, have they not been through enough already?
  15. Erm, what alternative would you suggest?
  16. As both the accused and now the convicted had admitted their guilt on many occasions except for when in court and all they appear to be doing what to take the piss out of our judicial system and forced the cost of a full blown trial, it would have been nice to see a sentencing trial rather than a full trial by jury thus not forcing the family to have to go through all the film footage that was available for the trial.
    But having said that we have a judicial system that may have fault that it appears to work most the time and it's what we're stuck with
  17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

How does that work when they pleaded Not Guilty?
  18. Janner I did say the addmitted guilt everywhere but in court? so taking the piss of our system? Just my thoughts.
  19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I've always thought it was a shame the police officers didn't kneel the defendants at the side of the road and put a swift bullet in the nape of their necks when they were first apprehended, but, I'm an ex bootneck and that kind of thing is frowned upon apparantly.
    • Like Like x 7