Vehicles & Image

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by FAAFLYNAVY, May 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With around 80% of the "owned" wealth in the country being in the hands of the over 55's what's your opinion on the vehicle/image situation.

As an example my neighbour is a 61 year old slim, now single, & successful business woman, she drives a 62 plate Porsche Boxster convertible auto, she readily states she doesn't want to go fast she just wants to look good.

She delights in going to the supermarket with the top down just to piss off the mortgaged to the hilt 40 something's.

When you study traffic queues it's quite surprising just how many 60+ drivers are in these types of vehicles.

For the record I'm 71 & drive a 2012 Skoda Octavia VRs auto.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. And they all drive at 30mph around my way, not that it's annoying in anyway of course!!!

3. I expect most are retired & aren't in any rush to get to where they're going.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. You see alot of oldies in these suped up cars with custom rims and tinted windows around, they proabaly paid for it for their son and drive around in it to get the messages etc, its a strange sight to behold

5. Doesn't matter what age if youv'e got the dosh flaunt it - thats why I fcuk about in a 10 year old Shogun Sport!!!

6. Given that for most people a car is the second most expensive thing that they will own (after a house), I would say your choice of vehicle says more about you than anything else.

So 61 year old MILF in a Boxster says: "I'm old, but I've still got it, I'm definitely up for a **** if the right young chap comes along, I can afford a 911, but being female I'm happy with a Boxster."

45 year old dad in a battered people carrier says: "I've thoroughly given up on life, I'm a full time dad, I have no life outside of my family unit, my days are a blur of my shit job, taking the kids to school and dropping the wife off to **** her Pilates instructor."

19 year old kid in suped up hatch back says: "I'm 19, this is the fastest car I can afford to insure, if it's louder than my mate's hatch back then it's cool and it will attract girls."

• Like Like x 2
  7. You have to be carefull buying sporty cars when you hit the mid life panic, woman across from me bought hubby a Mazda mx whatever, he's over 60 and looks over 70 and anything but "good" in it, I agree, if you've got it flaunt it but dont look a twat, I would get one if I could have a Stannah fitted to get me in and out.

8. I'm in the 45 year old bracket- not. I really fancy the new Range Rover Evoque fcuking DBs

9. This 59 yr old is quite quite happy in his 1.2 Tce Clio - quite a nice little turbo engine, my other car is an Austin 1300 GT (My Dad/Granddad had one of those). Mention Reginald Molehusband to these youngsters - PAH !

:judge: Good call though Stan !

10. Er indoors up until last year was running around in a Peugeot 206 Convertible with a stuffin big 2ltr engine which by definition is a right tarts car ... although I must admit driving it around France with the top down was a bit of alright ... but at £250 road tax and £150 a week in fuel was a bit steep ... likewise my old Beemer 318i was a bit juicy and another £250 a year road tax. So decision was made to chop 'em both in for a decent convertible ... with decent fuel economy and cheap road tax ... ended up with an Audi A3 Sport Convertible 2 Ltr TDi ... £50 a week fuel and £30 a year road tax ... result! Boot big enough for umpteen dozen of wine bottles and not taken up by the lid (unlike Pug/BMW/Volvo and the A4) ... fast ... 120mph down the autostraza yesterday chasing the ferry ... so yep fast enough! Sunburned bald patch with the top down ... Is it a status symbol?? Nah ... It gets me from A to B reasonably cheaply and without having to fund the national debt (am I a cynic in not believing that Road Fund Dosh goes to building / maintaining roads???) ... I can sunburn my bald patch ... I would say wind in my hair but I ain't got none ... and I can tow the caravan! Does what I want it to do! .... mind if I lived next door to a 61yr old tart with a porche I might move in!

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...this week I 'ave been mostly driving:

7160466916_88d3b55ab8_z.jpg

(I dunno what it says about my image, though) :oops:

• Like Like x 2
  12. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Please, we've been chums long enough, call me Marty

14. wal

wal Badgeman

At 63 I'm finding it very difficult to climb in and out of my Lambo. Think I get a stair lift instead.

Truth is I drive a Pikey Vectra. Gives me 40 to the gallon on average.

15. wal

wal Badgeman

Are they troughs or stys?

16. Photo?
    Number?
    Address?

• Like Like x 1
  17. In your dreams Sonar, your not at the back of the queue, your not even in the queue.:laughing3:

18. As I've just left and about to receive my gratuity, this mortgaged to the hilt 40yr old is currently driving a mint freelander 2 and brand new Triumph 675R. **** paying off the mortgage I'm having me some toys.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  19. The way to go Mac, your a long time dead, & good luck for the future.

20. Me, I drive a 1.3cdti Corsa, £30 road tax & 70mpg.gets me from A to B, and I can then spend money on bikes.
    Like Mac-- Toys are good fun
    A 2010 696 Ducati Monster for one.
    More fun are my Brough Superiors.
    Even better is my latest one.A 1922 Brough factory race engine- but I had to make the frame, forks etc