Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vehicles & Image

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
With around 80% of the "owned" wealth in the country being in the hands of the over 55's what's your opinion on the vehicle/image situation.

As an example my neighbour is a 61 year old slim, now single, & successful business woman, she drives a 62 plate Porsche Boxster convertible auto, she readily states she doesn't want to go fast she just wants to look good.

She delights in going to the supermarket with the top down just to piss off the mortgaged to the hilt 40 something's.

When you study traffic queues it's quite surprising just how many 60+ drivers are in these types of vehicles.

For the record I'm 71 & drive a 2012 Skoda Octavia VRs auto.

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
And they all drive at 30mph around my way, not that it's annoying in anyway of course!!!

SphynxPawww

Badgeman
You see alot of oldies in these suped up cars with custom rims and tinted windows around, they proabaly paid for it for their son and drive around in it to get the messages etc, its a strange sight to behold

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Given that for most people a car is the second most expensive thing that they will own (after a house), I would say your choice of vehicle says more about you than anything else.

So 61 year old MILF in a Boxster says: "I'm old, but I've still got it, I'm definitely up for a **** if the right young chap comes along, I can afford a 911, but being female I'm happy with a Boxster."

45 year old dad in a battered people carrier says: "I've thoroughly given up on life, I'm a full time dad, I have no life outside of my family unit, my days are a blur of my shit job, taking the kids to school and dropping the wife off to **** her Pilates instructor."

19 year old kid in suped up hatch back says: "I'm 19, this is the fastest car I can afford to insure, if it's louder than my mate's hatch back then it's cool and it will attract girls."

Sharkey

Banned
You have to be carefull buying sporty cars when you hit the mid life panic, woman across from me bought hubby a Mazda mx whatever, he's over 60 and looks over 70 and anything but "good" in it, I agree, if you've got it flaunt it but dont look a twat, I would get one if I could have a Stannah fitted to get me in and out.

Given that for most people a car is the second most expensive thing that they will own (after a house), I would say your choice of vehicle says more about you than anything else.

So 61 year old MILF in a Boxster says: "I'm old, but I've still got it, I'm definitely up for a **** if the right young chap comes along, I can afford a 911, but being female I'm happy with a Boxster."

45 year old dad in a battered people carrier says: "I've thoroughly given up on life, I'm a full time dad, I have no life outside of my family unit, my days are a blur of my shit job, taking the kids to school and dropping the wife off to **** her Pilates instructor."

19 year old kid in suped up hatch back says: "I'm 19, this is the fastest car I can afford to insure, if it's louder than my mate's hatch back then it's cool and it will attract girls."

I'm in the 45 year old bracket- not. I really fancy the new Range Rover Evoque fcuking DBs

Parade_Ho

Badgeman
This 59 yr old is quite quite happy in his 1.2 Tce Clio - quite a nice little turbo engine, my other car is an Austin 1300 GT (My Dad/Granddad had one of those). Mention Reginald Molehusband to these youngsters - PAH !

:judge: Good call though Stan !

MG Maniac

War Hero
Er indoors up until last year was running around in a Peugeot 206 Convertible with a stuffin big 2ltr engine which by definition is a right tarts car ... although I must admit driving it around France with the top down was a bit of alright ... but at £250 road tax and £150 a week in fuel was a bit steep ... likewise my old Beemer 318i was a bit juicy and another £250 a year road tax. So decision was made to chop 'em both in for a decent convertible ... with decent fuel economy and cheap road tax ... ended up with an Audi A3 Sport Convertible 2 Ltr TDi ... £50 a week fuel and £30 a year road tax ... result! Boot big enough for umpteen dozen of wine bottles and not taken up by the lid (unlike Pug/BMW/Volvo and the A4) ... fast ... 120mph down the autostraza yesterday chasing the ferry ... so yep fast enough! Sunburned bald patch with the top down ... Is it a status symbol?? Nah ... It gets me from A to B reasonably cheaply and without having to fund the national debt (am I a cynic in not believing that Road Fund Dosh goes to building / maintaining roads???) ... I can sunburn my bald patch ... I would say wind in my hair but I ain't got none ... and I can tow the caravan! Does what I want it to do! .... mind if I lived next door to a 61yr old tart with a porche I might move in!

MG Maniac

War Hero
...this week I 'ave been mostly driving:

View attachment 5820

(I dunno what it says about my image, though) :oops:

wal

Lantern Swinger
At 63 I'm finding it very difficult to climb in and out of my Lambo. Think I get a stair lift instead.

Truth is I drive a Pikey Vectra. Gives me 40 to the gallon on average.

angry_mac

War Hero
As I've just left and about to receive my gratuity, this mortgaged to the hilt 40yr old is currently driving a mint freelander 2 and brand new Triumph 675R. **** paying off the mortgage I'm having me some toys.

Last edited:

FAAFLYNAVY

Lantern Swinger
As I've just left and about to receive my gratuity, this mortgaged to the hilt 40yr old is currently driving a mint freelander 2 and brand new Triumph 675R. **** paying off the mortgage I'm having me some toys.

The way to go Mac, your a long time dead, & good luck for the future.

nobby0919

Lantern Swinger
Me, I drive a 1.3cdti Corsa, £30 road tax & 70mpg.gets me from A to B, and I can then spend money on bikes.
Like Mac-- Toys are good fun
A 2010 696 Ducati Monster for one.
More fun are my Brough Superiors.
Even better is my latest one.A 1922 Brough factory race engine- but I had to make the frame, forks etc

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Portland Scrap Metal fined for keeping waste vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 5StarS: developing a security framework for autonomous and connected vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Army's construction vehicles boosted by £240 million contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Armoured vehicles to test electric technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK loans Estonia four Jackal vehicles to support counter-terror mission in Mali MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving the change to greener vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA awards £2m to fast-track autonomous vehicles in harsh conditions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Driving tests and MOTs for heavy vehicles suspended for up to 3 months to help tackle spread of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alexa, tell me about electric vehicles: Go Ultra Low app launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England unveils pioneering automated cone laying vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail replacement vehicles: extension of non-accessible period to 30 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Response to the Department for Transport consultation on green number plates for ultra low emission vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to ensure safety of self-driving vehicles ahead of their sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New high-tech Army reconaissance vehicles built in Merthyr Tydfil MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cardiff’s new transport research network receives £1m UK Government cash boost to turn vehicles green MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency seizes vehicles in Warwickshire MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Motorists urged to check vehicles before heading off on holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 08/2019: Collision between road-rail vehicles at Cholmondeston MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Welsh projects given the green light to develop the latest battery technology for electric vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New noise camera trial to crack down on illegal vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: New boost for UK ambition to lead the world in zero emissions vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New technology for zero-emission vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government moves forward on advanced trials for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Roads designed for future vehicles: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New cyber security standard for self-driving vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future vehicles powered by low carbon tech: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK armoured vehicles arrive in Oman ahead of Exercise Saif Sareea 3 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: US and UK Armies lead the way in world-first for robotic vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Mimicking ants to develop capability of autonomous vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £125 Million investment in new armoured vehicles sustains 40 skilled Scottish jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: £150M cannon contract signed for UK armoured fighting vehicles MoD News 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Support Advisor (Vehicles) - Nelson - £Competitive Salary The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MoD_RSS News story: £50 million armoured vehicles fleet support contract awarded MoD News 0
Simon - Quest Magazine Lorry Drivers – Various Class Vehicles – Middlesex - Up to £40k The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil Ch 4 News: "Royal Marine Vehicles Destroyed In 'Anarchist' Attack" RMR 4
Topstop Military vehicles are tested to ensure your safety Motoring 5
ETA Berets in vehicles? SCC and URNU 14
MoD_RSS RAF Tornados destroy former regime vehicles in Libya Current Affairs 2
7 Vehicles on Aircraft carriers HMS Hermes and Invincible History 53
trelawney126 New Ridgback Vehicles Another Delay Current Affairs 2
soleil Asian Image: "Royal Navy Admiral Visits Birmingham’s Central Mosque" The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS Bloggers collaborate with government to challenge negative body image MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Information content in data: How a Dstl project could find the ‘needle in the haystack’ using AI for image search MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Information content in data: How a Dstl project could find the ‘needle in the haystack’ using AI for image search MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Image upload/posting test. Bloody Computers 15
soleil Herald: Iconic Image By Plymouth Photographer Captured End Of The Falklands Conflict The Corps 3
BillyNoMates Image copy/pasting function? Site Issues 2
BillyNoMates Image Cave @@~~###!!!! Bloody Computers 4
soleil RN Photography: Defence Image Database The Fleet 2