Vaccines

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Cheers pal I’m not anti vax or anything was just wondering out of curiosity. Thinking of joining the reserves when I turn 16
Regulars get all required vaccines on joining, including Covid if you have not had it prior to arriving at RAL/BRNC.

RNR do not get vaccines on joining - its one of the big problems, currently. Instead one is given a heady mix of anything that you are short of on mobilisation. There can be a discrepancy between what the RN thinks you need, and your civ GP thinks you have had, so having a current, accurate list from your GP is a good idea.

Covid, however, is a different thing all together. Don't wait for a mobilisation, get C-Vax via your school/GP as soon as the offer comes up (IMHO) regardless of joining RN/RNR/lesser services.

JR07

Midshipman
Regulars get all required vaccines on joining, including Covid if you have not had it prior to arriving at RAL/BRNC.

RNR do not get vaccines on joining - its one of the big problems, currently. Instead one is given a heady mix of anything that you are short of on mobilisation. There can be a discrepancy between what the RN thinks you need, and your civ GP thinks you have had, so having a current, accurate list from your GP is a good idea.

Covid, however, is a different thing all together. Don't wait for a mobilisation, get C-Vax via your school/GP as soon as the offer comes up (IMHO) regardless of joining RN/RNR/lesser services.
Do you mean when you first arrive at basic

Civvie dad

Badgeman
The lad has been given a nice long list of vaccinations he’ll either need top ups for or what he hasn’t had on his joining instructions, told to take his list of what he’s already had , as soon as he was eligible for his Covid jab he went and got it , lucky little sh1t never had any after effects , when I had mine it felt like someone had removed my little brain for a few hours the next day , I was wiring up a pox and just sat there staring at it for a couple of hours couldn’t work out what went where and when I programmed it I put a program in it for something that had way more functions than what I needed , took a good few hours to realise what a gobsh1te I’d been

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Do you mean when you first arrive at basic
Unless I have mis-understood you wish to join the RNR.

Being a reservist means that you remain, in essence, a civilian until HMQ requires you to do something war-like (see also international pandemics). When you move from doing a loose handful of drill nights to "war duties" this is called mobilisation.

On being mobilised a reservist effectively becomes a regular, and all benefits that the regulars get (and we normally don't) become available. Amongst this is the vaccines that you will need for the theatre to which you are being deployed.

Covid jabs, IMHO, are a necessity regardless of regular service, reserve service, or just being a responsible citizen. Don't wait for the RN/RNR to sort that for you.