Vacancy for Training Officer at Cambridge URNU

#1
UNIVERSITY ROYAL NAVAL UNIT TRAINING OFFICER

A vacancy exists at Cambridge University Royal Naval Unit (CURNU) for a Training Officer. If you are ex-RN, RNR, Merchant Navy, or have skills, experience and qualifications that would allow you to teach navigation, seamanship and leadership in a Naval context, you will enjoy this challenging and fun part-time training post. Former URNU members are also welcome to apply.

Based in Cambridge, we train up to 51 undergraduate students in the need for and role of the Royal Navy. We train on Thursday evenings in Cambridge, and at weekends with our dedicated training ship HMS RAIDER, based in Ipswich.

Successful application would require you to join the Royal Naval Reserves List 7 (NO call up eligibility for current operations). You would be expected to undertake a 2-week training package at Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, and participate in at least 16 training evenings, 3 weekends and one two-week period over either the Easter or Summer holidays in each academic year. The post attracts pay at a rate of £37.50 per day when on duty, a bonus if the above commitment is met, and travel expenses allowance. Uniform is provided, initially at the rank of Sub-Lieutenant RNR. Opportunities exist to gain RYA qualifications up to and including Yachtmaster (Power) depending on experience/ability. Opportunities also exist to conduct Adventurous Training, and you would have access to all Tri-Service Adventurous Training courses and expeditions.

Interested applicants should expect to be able to commit to the Unit for at least 3 years.

Contact the Commanding Officer, Cambridge URNU, at 2 Chaucer Road, Cambridge, CB2 7EB or email [email protected]. You should forward a CV detailing your experience and qualifications. Qualified individuals will then be called forward for interview.

For more information on Cambridge URNU visit http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2973.
 
#2
Interesting. I thought URNU training officers are all RN Lieutenants. Just out of interest, how are the training staff at the various URNU units composed then?
 

AntC

Lantern Swinger
#3
Cold_Benguela said:
Interesting. I thought URNU training officers are all RN Lieutenants. Just out of interest, how are the training staff at the various URNU units composed then?
URNU Units have an Officer in Charge who is a serving RN Lt (regular). The Unit IC is also the Commanding Officer of the unit's P2000 Archer Class patrol boat. Each unit also has an RN Chief Petty Officer (regular) who acts as the unit coxwain. Units also usually have secretaries who are civilian employees.

In terms of training staff units have 3/4 Training Officers who are List 7 Reservists (not liable to call-up - wear the "R" in their curls to distinguish them from RNR officers on other lists) who start off as SLts (RNR) and progress after a time period and various different training courses to Lt (RNR).
 
#5
Oooh! I heard Cambridge URNU was really rubbish.

What you want to do is apply for Oxford URNU. They have always been the best.........................................
 
#6
AntC said:
In terms of the P2000 ship's companies:

CO - Lt RN
XO - CPO
MEO - CPO
WEO - Killick
Navs Yeo - AB

Whick one does all the cleaning?

I'm an ex wafu working in Cambridge, if they need training in milling around and loafing, i'm your man!!!!
Also do a good deal of "No fault found" and "yeah, it allways does that".
 

AntC

Lantern Swinger
#7
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
AntC said:
In terms of the P2000 ship's companies:

CO - Lt RN
XO - CPO
MEO - CPO
WEO - Killick
Navs Yeo - AB

Whick one does all the cleaning?

I'm an ex wafu working in Cambridge, if they need training in milling around and loafing, i'm your man!!!!
Also do a good deal of "No fault found" and "yeah, it allways does that".
Haha the Mid's do all the cleaning sadly!! :( lol
 

TheRowan

Lantern Swinger
#9
AntC said:
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
AntC said:
In terms of the P2000 ship's companies:

CO - Lt RN
XO - CPO
MEO - CPO
WEO - Killick
Navs Yeo - AB

Whick one does all the cleaning?

I'm an ex wafu working in Cambridge, if they need training in milling around and loafing, i'm your man!!!!
Also do a good deal of "No fault found" and "yeah, it allways does that".
Haha the Mid's do all the cleaning sadly!! :( lol
Nah, that's what O/Cs are there for!
 
#19
TheRowan said:
AntC said:
TheRowan said:
AntC said:
TheRowan said:
Nah, that's what O/Cs are there for!
Fair point!

Loving your sig btw!
It's a quote from the bridge of the BITER (Manchester & Salford URNU) when one of the aforesaid O/Cs was supposed to be visually fixing.
How long ago was this?
Easter deployment '06 I think.
Deployment on a P2000??, 9 month global was it!!!
 
#20
TheRowan:
AntC:
TheRowan:
AntC:
TheRowan:
Nah, that's what O/Cs are there for!
Fair point!

Loving your sig btw!

It's a quote from the bridge of the BITER (Manchester & Salford URNU) when one of the aforesaid O/Cs was supposed to be visually fixing.
How long ago was this?

Easter deployment '06 I think.
Deployment on a P2000??, 9 month global was it!!!
TheRowan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am Post subject: Re: Vacancy for Training Officer at Cambridge URNU
AntC:
TheRowan:
AntC:
TheRowan:
Nah, that's what O/Cs are there for!
Fair point!

Loving your sig btw!

It's a quote from the bridge of the BITER (Manchester & Salford URNU) when one of the aforesaid O/Cs was supposed to be visually fixing.
How long ago was this?

Easter deployment '06 I think.



Now that sounds familiar ......
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts