UY Scheme

D

Deleted 110231

Since you appreciated the UY/SUY ridiculousness --Here's a little more:-
TOPGALLANT AND ROYAL YARDMEN IN THE TOPS!

Man the clew-jiggers and buntlines; head down hauls; spanker and trysail brails!

Man the above-named gear, also the leechlines, topgallant and royal clew-lines, and spanker and trysail head down hauls and clew ropes. Tend the head sheets and halliards, trysail and spanker outhauls and top bowlines.

Signal of execution being hoisted:

ALOFT TOPMEN! Lower yardmen on the sheer pole!

ALOFT LOWER YARDMEN!

D

Deleted 110231

Man the clew-jiggers and buntlines; head down hauls; spanker and trysail brails!

Man the above-named gear, also the leechlines, topgallant and royal clew-lines, and spanker and trysail head down hauls and clew ropes. Tend the head sheets and halliards, trysail and spanker outhauls and top bowlines.

ALOFT LOWER YARDMEN!
I apologise.
I mentioned Sheer Pole without explaining what is was. Some of you might not know.

A horizontal steel rod fitted at the base of the shrouds supporting a mast. It was seized to each shroud just above its bottlescrew and served to keep any turns out of the shrouds when they were being set up.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero

ALOFT LOWER YARDMEN!
I bet you remember those days well.......

Were you involved with any of these? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Korea

Alfacharlie

War Hero
I apologise.
I mentioned Sheer Pole without explaining what is was. Some of you might not know.

A horizontal steel rod fitted at the base of the shrouds supporting a mast. It was seized to each shroud just above its bottlescrew and served to keep any turns out of the shrouds when they were being set up.
You’re still a cock

Union Jack

Lantern Swinger
I suspect that those of us with a greater sense of tradition are equally capable of thinking of an alternative and up to date use for a horizontal steel rod.

Jack

witsend

MIA
Book Reviewer

ALOFT LOWER YARDMEN!
7A55123F-F612-4C55-A69B-3BA11A9C7432.jpeg

Chris P

War Hero
I apologise.

Funny how you 'hang sh1t' on the RN any chance you get but still retain all the terminology!!

Latest Threads